I had to say goodbye to my pug

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
She had a fused vertebrae. Somehow, she had injured her backbone. And her body trying to heal the vertebrae, built up a barrier that caused her to lose control of her back legs. It was degenerative. It slowly got worse until she could barely walk.

The time had come to let her go. Extremely difficult. I cried like a baby. Still crying.

This is her story .........

She was a special little dog. My youngest daughter got her at a Medievel Festival in Norman in 2011. She said these gals were selling the puppies for $80 , but these ladies looked like meth heads. And they were selling the puppies for their next fix.

My daughter took the puppie to our vet, and he chewed her out. Said this puppy was too young to be taken from its mother and would have problems. Said she should not buy puppies at Medieval festivals.

Julie may've been a bit neurotic, but she was a good dog. My daughters life was erratic, as young people's lives tend to be. So she would live with us a while, then not. So Julie was here and not here until late 2016.

Daughter was living with us moved out at that time. I told her that Julie needed to stay with us. That she would be better with me, than spending almost all her time alone in an apartment. Daughter agreed.

So for the past 8 years, Julie was my dog. She was with me 24/7. I took her to the park to walk almost every day. She loved going to the park.

Early on, she was agressive toward people we would meet on the trail. But one day, this lady wanted to pet Julie. And Julie allowed it. And it was like a switch was flipped. She then began going to everybody we would meet to get affection.

And of course, she was cute as a bugs ear and people loved petting her. Julie had the power to put smiles on peoples faces. They would just melt.

The trail at the park went right next to an elementary school. And the times we were on the trail as school let out, all the kids would come running to her, they loved a pug, she would be in the middle of all these kids petting her and be in hog heaven.

I loved her more than any dog I ever had. Putting this one down is gonna leave a deep scar.

When we would go to the park, she loved sitting on the console in my truck. Yeah, if we'd had a wreck, that's not the safest place. But I promise you, I would've hit the windshield before she did. I had my arm blocking her.

Pug.jpg

It's so hard . There have been times when I knew it was for the best , but when you get one like this , it hurts .
Don't want to make this about me , but I got some not so good news a couple weeks ago .
So far so good .

Like you say , you spend everyday with them . They know what you're gonna do before you do .

All you can do is get the feelings out and keep the memories .
I feel for ya bud . Hang in there .

So sorry to hear about the pug. Every one I've ever met was quite the personality. Sad day when it comes. That said, I like dogs far more than people.

Reactions: jcam222
"Until you've loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France (paraphrased)

We have Bailey and Lucy. Lucy is 4 years old and the dog in my avatar. Bailey will be 11 years old January 12 and I know that day is fast approaching. He still gets around great, chases squirrels, and digs, but the fact is he's 11 and I know what that means. I will continue to love him and that love is what will help me make that decision when the time comes.

So sorry for your loss and regardless of how much it hurts, know that you did the right thing. It is said that time heals all wounds, but I disagree. I think that time makes all wounds more tolerable...

And God said, "I will send them without wings so no one suspects they are angels."

Reactions: Smokin Okie
My deepest condolences to you and yours. I know Julie was a special pug as I've been owned by a long line of pugs. I have cried for each of mine that have crossed the rainbow bridge and can attest the pain fades and is replaced by all the great memories.

• Love
Oh man, I feel for you Okie. So sad to hear. The story of Julie sounds exactly like our inherited Chihuahua. My sincere condolences.
When we loose our Westie, Ivory, I'm going to bawl like a baby.

• Love
It's so hard to lose our loved ones! Got tears in my eyes... I'm a softie. My heartfelt feelings go out to you!

Ryan

• Love
Sorry to hear that Okie. It hurts. I feel your pain. Been there a few times myself and it's tough. Rejoice in the joy that you brought to each others lives.

• Love
It is always tough when you have to let them go. We had to put our Cocker down a couple years ago and my wife really took it hard since it was a birthday gift from me. A few weeks ago I was able to get another little furry ball of sunshine for her birthday.

This is the third dog I've had to put down. And by far, its been the hardest. She's really got deep in my heart.

Its the first time in almost 30 years we've not had a dog in the house. But Julie is gonna be my last one.

So very sad to hear this , as said above , one of the hardest things to do.
Even though we know when it is time , it still hurts like hell. I would love to say that time heals
but it still does not take away the emptiness of a great friendship and the unconditional love they give us.
We give them the best life that we think they need and they give us everything

I /we also had to let go of our little Lola 2 weeks ago, she was 17 years and 4 months old.

David

• Love
Damn, I hate reading post like this. A pup will love you like no other person/animal. And its hurts like hell to lose them. Sending a big long distance virtual hug your way man.

Jim

• Love
Thoughts and prayers for you. LOVED reading her story! Our pug Lily is on pain meds and all sorts of fun but count each day as a blessing. She loves when I am smoking food, but the funniest of all is how bat s*** crazy she is for kabanosy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky