How to get more smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Timber II

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 15, 2023
Swamp east Missouri
Using a MB 40” digital. When starting sausages at a low temp 145 I don’t think I’m getting as much smoke as I should. The chip tray is full of seasoned apple or peach wood from my trees that has dried a year. It’s dry, I didn’t soak it, maybe I should? Also maybe start the smoker hot 225, to get smoke going then turn down and open door to get back to start temp ?
Thanks for entertaining my rookie questions!
Timber

Reactions: JLeonard
I just started one of the books you boys recommended me by rytek Kutas - right after I posted the q above I read….fruitwoods were seldom used my sausage makers because of excessive tar.

I started out high to get smoke going then corrected temp, a pellet tube from walmart works well, load chips or in my case shag bark off of a hickory tree and some pellets, lite let burn 5 minutes or more, blow out start cooking, no mail box needed.

Yep, need at least 200° to get chips to smoke. Like stated, A tube will do you wonders at lower temps. Been there, went to mailbox mod ( search forum ).

Reactions: Timber II
I started out high to get smoke going then corrected temp, a pellet tube from walmart works well, load chips or in my case shag bark off of a hickory tree and some pellets, lite let burn 5 minutes or more, blow out start cooking, no mail box needed.
Beat me to it!

Jim

My buddy and I did Masterbuilt 40’s for years before we built our own great big electric smoker.
We realized early on that the “beer can” chip loader and non adjustable chip pan were sub optimal. We made a bunch of “destructive distillation” pans that were able to be used with chunks, and were adjustable based on usual temp.

These worked great, and had the side benefit of producing lump charcoal as a byproduct.

Still have the stuff to produce more if you want to get one.

Mailbox and pellets for my MES40 which is used 100% for fish with heatings temps starting at 125 and ending with 155.

What I like about using a mailbox is that you can check your pellets or change wood flavors without opening the smoker.
IMG_9090.jpeg

Last edited:
Using a MB 40” digital. When starting sausages at a low temp 145 I don’t think I’m getting as much smoke as I should. The chip tray is full of seasoned apple or peach wood from my trees that has dried a year. It’s dry, I didn’t soak it, maybe I should? Also maybe start the smoker hot 225, to get smoke going then turn down and open door to get back to start temp ?
Thanks for entertaining my rookie questions!
Timber
lots of good suggestions here. I'm still nursing an old MES30 for small jobs like pork belly and yardbird. I use a tube, just not filled all the way.

If you ever want to smoke cheese then the smoke tube in the smoker might be too much heat and smoke but otherwise good suggestions here.

Ryan

With a smoke tube for more smoke and heat lay on side, to reduce smoke and heat and longer smoke time go vertical, a tube won't put out a lot of heat most of the time if the vents are open all the way

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky