Here is my 1st try at Hotdogs......... I need to give Craig (fpnmf) a BIG THANK YOU !!!!!!!!! for ge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La
So I’ve wanted to try my hand at making hotdogs for a while now
pot.gif
. I've been doing some research and decided to use this recipe......http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/wiener.... The only thing I changed was, I used 50/50 Beef/Pork, 80/20 beef and the rest was Boston Butt,  With Craig’s (fpnmf) help, I have no reason not to give this a try now, so first things first....Let us
51.gif
that I don't screw this up……
ROTF.gif
.......2nd, before I start I want to give Craig (fpnmf) a big “Thank You” for sending me the casings to try this out with….....
beercheer.gif
…..Craig, this one's for you……
2thumbs.gif

Casings that fpnmf (Craig) sent me......

5lbs of meat and seasonings mixed together, I ran it through the fine plate on the grinder 3 times........

My help was working today, so I couldn't take pictures and run the stuffer so I only have a few pictures so far.....Here is the pan,  filling up with hotdogs.....I couldn't get them to twist, so I had to tie them with some string.....If that is my only problem them I will not cry......LOL The plan is to smoke them for a hour tomorrow them poach them the rest of the way........Any suggestions on what wood to use ??? Thanks again Craig.....and Thanks for reading my post....Shoney "HotDog" Boy........
th_roflmao.gif

Last edited:
You are welcome!!

The dogs look great!!

You are a great man too!!

Craig

Interesting point?

When making sausages, does anyone else get tired of the hand washing?

Does anyone else go through towels so fast the old lady is looking at you? 
wife.gif

Then, getting clean hands?  Clean towels?  And the dang camera?

It just never seems to happen for me?

Good luck and good smoking.

drool.gif
Shoney Those look great hate it when the help leaves also - looks like Craig had your back on this one nothing like that kind of help either - lets see a final pic when you are done.

Ven, you are right washing so much sucks i finally went to using disposable gloves it helps some but still bot thru alot of them and you still wash alot

They are looking good to me. There is a serious lack of Good Hot Dogs in central PA. I have to drive into NJ to get the good stuff. I will be searching for a homemade Wiener that will get every ones approval...JJ

I ran it through the fine plate on the grinder 3 times........
Running that meat through the fine disc 3 times is like running around the block, not a small job! Your making hungry for hot dogs. They look great!

sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif
sausage.gif

I had to go out of town this morning, but now I'm back to work on getting these dogs going, here are some pictures of the progress......

Been in the smoker for about 20 minutes with Hickory........I'm going to let them go for an hour or so to get some color.....

The color was good and smelled great, so out of the smoker and in the water bath.....till I get a IT of 155.....

IT of 155, out of the water bath and guess what ? I have a pan FULL of some of the best hot-dogs I've ever tasted !!!!!!

Taste, texture and the snap......I got it all and it's good !!!! Real Good
sausage.gif
!!!! I really like the texture, it is a little more coarse that the store bought dogs and I like that.........

The taste test plate .........The word "FANTASTIC" was thrown around by my taste tester #1 and MMMmmmm!!! More please !!! from taste tester #2, so I think I got this........ The only thing I need to do is work on getting my lengths the same and maybe next time a little harder smoke, they were not very smokey tasting, but other than that, I will chalk this up to a great experience....
sausage.gif
....I can see now I will have to make more than 5lbs at a time......My son was home when I took them out and 2 of them seem to have disappeared
icon_eek.gif
!?!?!? He said, I don't know what happen to them, they just vanished
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
!!!! Yea, Right !!!! Thanks again Craig, your the man !!!  I will defiantly be doing these again, soon !!!!! ShoneyBoy

Last edited:
Reactions: rstr hunter
Wow that looks good! You may have pushed me towards the grinder purchase and away from the hunting boot purchase with this one. I can always buy hunting boots right!?!? 

Hey does everything come with a grinder? All the plates and that tube on the end that fills the casings? Or is that separate? 

Wow that looks good! You may have pushed me towards the grinder purchase and away from the hunting boot purchase with this one. I can always buy hunting boots right!?!? 

Hey does everything come with a grinder? All the plates and that tube on the end that fills the casings? Or is that separate? 
It depends on which grinder you buy....Which one are you looking to buy ?????

Looking good!!!!!

They're all different, but many grinders come with a 3/16" and a 3/8"plate.

You'll turn the air blue trying to stuff wiener mud with a grinder!!!!
You really need a stuffer to do it without a lot of grief.

~Martin

Last edited:
Awesome looking weiners Shoney...That just sounds weird!!

How'd those sheep casings work for you?

I had a terrible time with the last batch of sheep casings

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky