Newbies 1st attempt at Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great! Good distribution on the cheddar and jalapeno's. They were the entrance of the rabbit hole to this whole cured meat thing for me!

If you like the chuds mix, have a look at his youtube channel. He gives a recipe for Cheddar Jalapeno sausage which I THINK is the same as what you get in the package stuff.

Looking forward to what you come up with next.

Last edited:
Reactions: HushyQ and cptnding
Thanks nlife, great idea and also thanks for providing the link to Boykjo's casing thread! Since almost all of this batch went to the kids and for New Years gifts I will be making this again soon. I want to only make a few tweaks to this recipe before moving on. A great tip and yes, it looks like it will be close or the same to his Plump and Juicy starter mix. I will do the same recipe but add whole mustard seed and use Boykjo's method of soaking my casings. They were just a bit tough and oh, so hard to work with. Will update you on these 2 changes. I'm still learning the site but you get a big thumbs up from me!!!!!

Reactions: nlife
Glad to help H HushyQ .

I bought my first Henk of casings recently which gives you 90m rather than the 25m home use packs. People here said the home use packs basically had the odds and ends which are much shorter. Well tonight I separated a single strand from the Henk and it just kept going! Damn thing has got to be closer to 6-7' long!

I eventually had to cut it in half so I could flush it without it turning into a giant Gordian knot. I'll be stuffing some brats tonight.

Check out this guy for sausage recipes, great info and tons of different types of sausage. I have made his jalapeno cheese sausages, they were great.

Reactions: nlife and DougE
Check out this guy for sausage recipes, great info and tons of different types of sausage. I have made his jalapeno cheese sausages, they were great.

Duncan Henry has a lot of good stuff on his channel.

That's the one I use too smokngun smokngun . I use Sunspun processed cheese on his recommendation. I find it better than old/aged cheddar and far cheaper than hi-temp cheese. I also like his breakfast sausage recipe.

Think I've watched all of his vids now.

Last edited:
Yep! I watched his vid on buckboard bacon shortly before starting my own smokngun smokngun

I went with his recipe for dry cure DougE DougE when making the buckboard bacon. I'm trying the recipe I found here for the regular bacon though.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokngun
I have no use for YouTube and the rest of the internet for cure recipes. We all here end up having to field those, correct those, it’s a major distraction. I recommend no other cure site than SMF.

I tend to agree SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , though Ducan is a commercial butcher in Alberta, Canada. Granted, I tend to double and triple check validity of claims made regardless of where they come from.

There's two different bacon cures recommended here that tend to draw opposing opinions. One is volumetric the other is by weight. That said, I feel that you need to be able to sift through it all regardless of where you go.

I tend to agree SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , though Ducan is a commercial butcher in Alberta, Canada. Granted, I tend to double and triple check validity of claims made regardless of where they come from.

There's two different bacon cures recommended here that tend to draw opposing opinions. One is volumetric the other is by weight. That said, I feel that you need to be able to sift through it all regardless of where you go.
Fair enough. However, we fix more internet miss haps than we should. It’s funny, all the internet fails seem to end up here and asking for advice or fixes . Personally I don’t appreciate the flood of YouTube or other internet recipes here when most are asking for corrections or otherwise need corrected. All the answers you need, pretty much, already exist here on this site with the search function. Personally I don’t appreciate anyone dragging the interwebs in here and trying to mainstream that. It’s just not needed.

I agree on that SmokinEdge SmokinEdge ! There's A LOT to sift through when separating the wheat from the chaff when it comes to YouTube and the internet.

Glad to help H HushyQ .

I bought my first Henk of casings recently which gives you 90m rather than the 25m home use packs. People here said the home use packs basically had the odds and ends which are much shorter. Well tonight I separated a single strand from the Henk and it just kept going! Damn thing has got to be closer to 6-7' long!

I eventually had to cut it in half so I could flush it without it turning into a giant Gordian knot. I'll be stuffing some brats tonight.

Dang, awesome job man. I'm new to the forum (best on the internet by far) and am interested in sausage making. In the research process now. I have a Kamado Joe so that's not going to work for sausage. Trying to figure out the cheapest entry point. Thinking pellet tube for cold smoke followed by Masterbuilt 40 for smoking at 180 degrees? Also thinking I could have my butcher grind the meat so then I only need to buy the stuffer initially. Thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Reactions: HushyQ
Hey, thanks Gator! Plenty at this site to get you started and much more. Just jump right in. Even when it doesn't go exactly as you wish it'll still be good eatin. And hell, if you don't like it, send it my way, lol

Reactions: GatorAGR
Dang, awesome job man. I'm new to the forum (best on the internet by far) and am interested in sausage making. In the research process now. I have a Kamado Joe so that's not going to work for sausage. Trying to figure out the cheapest entry point. Thinking pellet tube for cold smoke followed by Masterbuilt 40 for smoking at 180 degrees? Also thinking I could have my butcher grind the meat so then I only need to buy the stuffer initially. Thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
Just thinking out loud, but it might work to simply use a tube for smoke and a hot plate electric burner for heat in your KJ. Small batch sausages but still could get your feet wet on the cheap.

Reactions: GatorAGR and nlife
I'm just a newbie Gator but 1 smoke tube and a pan of chips in my Big Chief worked pretty well for me. Got the idea from FuelinAround and his burned out BC. I would have just used the tube as he did for his bacon but it was 9 damn degrees out and I figured I needed the extra heat. I will be using his method for bacon very soon. The Big and Lil Chiefs are inexpensive and don't look like much but don't let that fool you. They produce some fine food. And take the SmokinEdge advice and get your self a scale and forget the cups and spoons, lol.

Welcome to the forum.
Sausage can get smoked in something as cheap as a wardrobe cardboard box from the U Haul store with a smoke tube and a tray of charcoal. Just need to cut some venting and foil line the interior.

A good meat shop should give you whatever fate percentage needed. Back in Minnesota, the local shop will give me a pork grind in any fat percentage I need. Handy for mixing in wild game.
I haven't asked, but I think the local Publix would do the same.
A meat grinder is also your best friend.

I got my Big Chief for $30 from a friend and it was unused.
Check the local sell such garage sales or Face Book market.
Buddy got a functional MB for $30 at a garage sale.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky