Cumberland Snausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Been reading here more than posting, but that's just me being lazy. Kroger had small bone in butts on sale last week for $.99/lb most were 5 lb range. Perfect for small batches. I grabbed a few so I could do this Cumberland and later today I'm going to grind the other and try my hand at a Cudighi recipe. Did these Cumberlands last Sunday and stuffed them Monday after work.

So I used SmokinEdge SmokinEdge recipe that was recently posted here. Only change I made was dialed the salt down by .1% and added .15% msg (Accent). SE you are absolutely correct when you call this delicious. Thanks for sharing that recipe and man... I'm gonna get fat again just from these, cuz I'm gonna make a bunch. Most of the other recipes I've seen for this have Thyme and I'm about Thymed out.

So here we are. My first foray with the sheep casings. Fairly serious PITA getting them sorted out of the package and rinsing, but nothing we couldn't overcome with a little creative swearing and a few gin and tonics... Did a few cool looking coils before linking them up.

20240109_182940.jpg
20240109_184834.jpg

Thanks for looking, and if you haven't had this style of sausage I'd give it a try. Tastes vary, but I am lovin' this one. Happy Saturday!

I’ve been all over the map on breakfast sausage, but this recipe was simple, short and the combinations looked good. I’ve learned to take spices that I want in my sausage and rub two together and smell. If they smell good together then they will taste good together, add spice in your hand one at a time rub and smell, if one doesn’t blend well with the others smell wise then delete. What got me hooked on this recipe was when I rubbed the fresh sage and a little mace together, I knew it was going to be good.

I’ve been all over the map on breakfast sausage, but this recipe was simple, short and the combinations looked good. I’ve learned to take spices that I want in my sausage and rub two together and smell. If they smell good together then they will taste good together, add spice in your hand one at a time rub and smell, if one doesn’t blend well with the others smell wise then delete. What got me hooked on this recipe was when I rubbed the fresh sage and a little mace together, I knew it was going to be good.
You nailed it! I normally share the stuff I make but I'll be keeping the lions share of this for me.

Looks and sounds good mr whipple

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks!

mr_whipple mr_whipple , here is a link to a post I made with a couple videos of how to braid link sausage, either in 3’s or 2’s both are very simple and make linking fast and efficient, they won’t unravel when hung up either. The 2 link is fastest and if smoking the sausage you get better smoke coverage, the 3 link saves a lot of space in the smoker. Either can be done for fresh links, braid them up, hang to dry then simply snip the links apart with scissors. Watch both videos.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/english-braid-links.323523/

mr_whipple mr_whipple , here is a link to a post I made with a couple videos of how to braid link sausage, either in 3’s or 2’s both are very simple and make linking fast and efficient, they won’t unravel when hung up either. The 2 link is fastest and if smoking the sausage you get better smoke coverage, the 3 link saves a lot of space in the smoker. Either can be done for fresh links, braid them up, hang to dry then simply snip the links apart with scissors. Watch both videos.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/english-braid-links.323523/
I watched those. Pretty cool!

Looks really good! Glad you're enjoying all your new equipment!

Ryan

Looks really good! Glad you're enjoying all your new equipment!

Ryan
Thanks! I'm having a blast trying new things. Not sure why I waited so long to get into sausage making.

Good looking sausages Mr. Whipple....I have become a huge fan of Cumberland style sausage for goose/pork blend.....
I hate Canada geese. Maybe I should take up hunting them as a protein source.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky