Help smoking large pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Prichard

Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Hi everyone-

I ordered a 14lb pork shoulder the other day and for some reason a 25lb beast showed up. I’ve never smoked one so large and could use some advice/help! Typically I would inject, rub, and then smoke at 225 until around 150 IT, then put in a pan with some apple juice and foil. At 200 or so I remove foil and glaze. With this size though I am worried about injecting and the danger zone. I’ve never even considered that before but came up as a risk when I poked around. Also, I don’t really have any disposable pan that will fit this thing unless it’s hanging out from one end. I measured and the shoulder just barely fits in my XL green egg. Any thoughts on cooking plan would be much appreciated!!! Thx

I would cut it in half if you have the tools to do so if not ask your butcher to do so for you.

Warren
Thanks warren- that is my last resort but reading similar posts it seems like a lot of people think keeping it in tact leads to better results?

I'd cut it in half, a 12 pound butt would still be on the large side, as big as any I've ever done. How many people would you be feeding, that could work out to quite a lot of leftovers. RAY

I'd cut it in half, a 12 pound butt would still be on the large side, as big as any I've ever done. How many people would you be feeding, that could work out to quite a lot of leftovers. RAY
Thanks guys - appreciate it. I’m gonna see if any of my buddies have what I need to cut it. Because I live in southern CT though things are pretty much shut down for covid - any suggestions if I can’t get it cut in half by Friday? Thx again everyone

That was my thought as well. I would break down even further into 3 or 4 chunks for more bark and faster smoke.

Are you sure that's not 2 ? Did you open the package yet ?
I have not opened it but is appears to be one piece. Like I said - it was supposed to be 14lbs so I was surprised too. Here is a picture of it with my hand for size reference. I am not 100% but it feels like one piece. What do you guys think? I’m not sure if I will be able to find a place to cut it in time though I’ll call a butcher and ask...

Attachments

• BD22D9E1-0CD3-4C95-942B-95C877F33051.jpeg
    BD22D9E1-0CD3-4C95-942B-95C877F33051.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 49
I have not opened it but is appears to be one piece. Like I said - it was supposed to be 14lbs so I was surprised too. Here is a picture of it with my hand for size reference. I am not 100% but it feels like one piece. What do you guys think? I’m not sure if I will be able to find a place to cut it in time though I’ll call a butcher and ask...
That looks like 2 to me. I get them from GFS like that.

Open it and see it does look like it could be 2. That would have been one large hog to get a 25lb shoulder from. Got a hand saw you can cut it.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky