HELP! NEED SUGGESTIONS!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suzukiparts1

Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
Suffolk, VA
My turkey is already in the smoker, 21.6 pounds, it has been there for an hour and a half. My wife just came home from work and informed me that instead of eating at 1pm we will be eating at 4pm. My turkey would have been ready at 12:30. Is there a good way to extend my cooking time without ruining my bird?

Hi there and welcome!

First things first, if you didn't cure that turkey you will want to get it above 140F internal temperature within 4 hours for general safety reasons.

I would think that once you hit 150F internal temp on the bird you could drop the smoker temp to hold the turkey for a while longer. Now I don't know what that may due to juiciness and such. I guess just try and see. Best of luck!

Reactions: suzukiparts1
I brined it for 2 days in the refrigerator with a solution of 1 gallon of water, 1 gallon of apple juice, 3 tablespoons of minced garlic, 1/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups of canning salt, 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper, sage and oregano. Is that what you mean by cure?

Oh I guess your other option is to just cook it to 150 as quickly as possible and then put in the fridge. Then at 3pm put it in the oven and bring to 160-165F IT. This may be a good option.

Reactions: suzukiparts1
Curing means adding a Sodium Nitrite Cure like Cure #1 to the brine. If smoking below 325 degree limit the size of a Whole bird to no more than 16 pounds and NEVER EVER smoke a Stuffed bird. For a 21 pounder, below 325, Spatchcock, remove spine and lay flat, or Halve the bird for it to cook 100% safely. You didn't give the smoker temp but since you figured 36 minutes per pound, my guess is you are running at 225. Anything higher and you will be done faster than 13 hours.
What temp are you smoking at?
Will you be Disowned if there is no Norman Rockwell Table Presentation and carving?
Do you have the ability to cut that big boy in half?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky