Throwdown Leftovers “Parts”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Life has been crazy so I finally found some time to post my “throwdown” entry!

This year we cooked a small turkey dinner, we parted out a 14 lb bird vs the whole 20lbs we have done over the past few years, so in my prep forgot to adjust the amount of brine I made up….. so I saved it and set it a side…. For a Rack of Pork roast……. I diamond cut the top for presentation and brine depth into the meat….
IMG_7020.jpeg

Turkey seasonings goo really well with pork by the way….i took a little of the brine and added a few more aromatics and boiled them in, ie left over crasins and the poultry blend herbs….
IMG_7021.jpeg

I brined it for 24 hours then seasoned with a previous TD win from Man Crates….this seasoning has a taste of 5 spice so it went well with the apple cider brine and pork…..I also put a layer of maple syrup over it all! More on why later….its not just for sweet….
IMG_7032.jpeg

I have done most of my cooks of these rack of pork’s in the past @ 235 but time was escaping me so I ran the RT1250 @ 265 ( I do 90% of all my smokes at 265 these days….)
IMG_7033.jpeg

Once the roast went on the smoker I grabbed the left over sweet spuds we had so I drizzled classic olive oil over them and seasoned them down with Jeff’s original rub….
IMG_7036.jpeg

The puds went on the Weber sear zone to get a nice sear.

IMG_7037.jpeg

I’ve never done this so I was Jonny on the spot, which was a good thing cause they seared up quick!!!!! Like 4 ish mins per side….
IMG_7041.jpeg

Once the all had nice even color they went in a foil pan, then some braising liquid was added, chicken broth, garlic, bourbon, butter, and syrup…..
IMG_7043.jpeg

The spuds were then added to the RT for slow braising……. Progress shot…..put some chicken breasts on for the wife to smoke as well….
IMG_7045.jpeg

The spuds ran for about 90 mins…..oh man they came out NICE….. I dropped a code on the just in case…..
IMG_7050.jpeg

I pulled the rack at INT 143 (close to an 2.5 hour cook) and put in the house oven at 145 to rest and wait for the spuds….
IMG_7052.jpeg

Now here is the reason for the syrup, it helps create a beautiful crust at the lower smoke temp. Oh and I’m 100% sold on doing these racks at 265 from now on……the pic says it all!!!!

IMG_7053.jpeg

Here is the alternate pic that I didn’t enter…..
IMG_7054.jpeg

Oh yes the compote used the leftover apples and crasins we had for the big thanksgiving day dressing and slaw, we cut way too many apples and saved them…..

And finally the encore shot……
IMG_7057.jpeg

My intention with this entry was to show a different perspective to leftovers to the big meal day. It’s all about adding simple layers of flavors together to make a whole new meal!

Thanks again to the forum, judges, sponsors and members for making these throwdowns possible!

Again congrats civil, and when I saw this in the list of entries, I went now its on. I thought yours and smoke-chem bbq with his stuffed croquettes
would have taken the top win.

Great looking meal and always love a good pork roast. And love the compote

David

Again congrats civil, and when I saw this in the list of entries, I went now its on. I thought yours and smoke-chem bbq with his stuffed croquettes
would have taken the top win.

Great looking meal and always love a good pork roast. And love the compote

David
Thanks David and it was a fun and competitive competition this round for sure! I have looked over lots of the old ones and I think the whole competition has raised up a few levels over the years. Just imagine if a bunch of us got together and did a pop up…..oh wait that is the gatherings SMF has done….. when I see those post I feel bad for the other campers around…..I mean to sit there and smell all the flavors….i would be crashing the party!

Last edited:
Man I loved the entry when it posted to the TD and I REALLY love it now.
And I agree with you on the SMF gatherings......I always picture the other campers circling around like a pack of hungry wolves!

Jim

Man I loved the entry when it posted to the TD and I REALLY love it now.
And I agree with you on the SMF gatherings......I always picture the other campers circling around like a pack of hungry wolves!

Jim
Much appreciated Jim! It was a fun cook and one that will likely get repeated because its a nice change of "taste" with the same ingredients!
CS, A great post and plate!
Thanks CM!

Reactions: JLeonard
That was a great spin on leftovers Civil. Looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

That was a great spin on leftovers Civil. Looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! Honestly, I really struggled with this one but on a last-minute Costco run, I spied the rack of pork out in the front bin and the light went on!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky