Help me get off the fence and buy a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dad of four

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Dayton, OH
Help me get off the fence and buy a smoker

I have spent way too much time looking online at electric smokers.

Every time I see one I like, I read the reviews, and they all need some type of modification, etc.

Can't I just plop-down my credit card and get a decent smoker?

Do they all have some defect or another?

Or is it the nature of fellow forum members to tinker?

I should also mention that I am tempted to just buy the #1 ranked MES40, but Amazon has it back-ordered for 2-Months!!!

Last edited:
I think there is something in us smokers that makes us want to tinker, if there wasn't we would just go to a restaurant!

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

There are ways to minimize the tinkering, but there is no way around the fact that you are currently depriving your family of healthy wholesome delicious smoked meat. You  don't want to be labeled as one of those dads... so get off the fence and buy a smoker!

There, how's that?  :)

Masterbuilt's Electric Smokehouse "MES", is considered by many on this electric forum as the best bang for your buck, best overall design, best overall feature set, of any electric smoker is the same price range.  The 40" is the choice for about 70% on this forum, and if the 40 stretches the budget too far the 30" model fits a smaller budget.  Does the MES have some iinherent problems, yes one major problem, if your model comes with the extra piece of metal between the heat element and chip tray, you may need to order the free retrofit kit and change it out, (not a difficult fix).  A second thing, most here have purchased the AMNPS for it's ability to produce smoke for hours, instead of having to add wood chips every 30 minutes in the stock MES.  BTW my MES 40 is 6 years old, I have had the AMNS for 2 years, that means for 4 years I added wood chips every 30 minutes, it isn't a problem, the AMNPS is just a better way.

Smoking meat is NOT a lazy man's way of cooking, in fact most of us go to great lengths to produce quality tasting Q.  Starting with making our own rubs, either taking off silver skin on ribs or injecting marinades in pork butt, tending the smoker for the quality of smoke and making sure the desired heat is constant, then the foiling process with different tricks to enhance the meat flavors at this stage, and last but not least are the BBQ sauces we make or doctor, or the finishing sauce same thing.  Bottom line producing quality Q is work!  Buying a smoker just gets you started, and if having to modify the smoker or add an accessory to get to the desired product - excellent tasting Q is necessary most here won't hesitate they do it.

Finally if you really are hung up and want something that works as designed and is considered by all BBQ smoker owners as one of the best backyard smokers, then buy yourself the 22" WSM  "Weber Smoky Mountain".  You can't go wrong with this smoker,  walk around any BBQ competition you will see a WSM either as a main smoker or a backup in a lot of team pit areas, why?  Because it works! 

Hey Dad! I didn't have the dilemma you are having. A close friend recommended the MES 40 and I bought it. Haven't regretted it at all. Deltadude's post is a good one for the MES. I haven't done the retrofit to mine because frankly I don't need it. Nothing is absolutely perfect in this world IMHO, but DD states the best one would be the Weber. 

Would you mind swinging by Roll Call and introducing yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome? Please update your profile with a location so we know where you are when answering questions.

Good luck and hope you get to an easier decision soon!

Last edited:
My next purchase will be an MES 40 from Sam's.  I already have the Amazn smoker.  There are enough people on here that have them and like them....that's good enough for me.

My $0.02 -

If you want a smoker that needs NO mods, then get a Lang 48" patio deluxe. Reverse-flow stick-burner with a warming box, and needs NO changes, mods, or tinkering. But, it's about $2200-2400 shipped to your door, and it's not electric. Ouch. But, arguably the best on the market. Someday - maybe as a retirement present to myself.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I have a MES 40 with an AMNS and AMNPS. The AMNS I use for cold smoking, the AMNPS for either.

Mods?

None, unless you count the AMNPS and the cart I put the MES on as tinkering/mods. I cut nothing so far on my smoker and it works well. You *can* make permanent mods if you want to, and I may in the future.

I would bite the bullet and cough up $1000 for a large BGE with all of the attachments. It's not "set it and forget it" but real close. Load it up with charcoal, dial in the temp, walk away. Makes awesome ribs and pork butt!

Smokin-it has great reviews, has 3 different sizes. I currently have the MES 30 and if it ever craps out I think I will get the mid sized Smokin-it next. Do a search on amazon and you can see reviews but to purchase go directly to their website it is cheaper.

I have the Smokin-it model 2 and stand, upgraded finally from a cheap bullet smoker with no thermostat. Tomorrow it gets it's first test, seasoned it Monday and have a 6.5# pork but freshly coated with Jeff's rub in the fridge waiting for the crack of dawn to get some smoke. I'm also putting a pork loin in later in the day for slicing.

I like the Smokin-it, uses just a few chunks of wood at the start and done. (that's what it says anyway...) Seems like good quality all around, heavy stainless and thick insulation. Hoping it lasts me for a good long time.

The lang 48 is a bad Mo Fo. I would like to own one someday. My vote is for the Primo XL. Smoker,Grill,Pizza oven, indirect,direct cooking all in one. I've put over 60lbs of love in my Primo. It holds about 10lbs of lump. I just did a 24hr brisket @ 190 to 225 and had a half of fire box left when I was done....Win

DO4, look into Craig's List, all sorts of units out there to start on, but then if you want to get silly big:

76930c58_Betty002-Copy2.jpg

Watt (pun) ever you want is there,join in several of us around this area.

Have fun and...

I was in your same boat about 6 months ago.  I had a chargriller duo with the side firebox.  Had such a hard time maintaining temps that I did a ton of mods and converted it to propane.  It was still a huge hassle.  I finally got fed up and decided to buy an electric smoker.  I researched hours and hours and lost sleep over it.  I did decide on the MES 40 as it had the best reviews for the price and quality.  Now... ask me what I ended up buying.  A 22.5in WSM.  I am SO happy I did.  I have never had problems maintaining temperatures and it has been a pleasure using.  I highly recommend this smoker!

Last edited:
MES 40 here... It's 100*F with 80%RH outside. 225*F in the Smoker with 10 hours of thin blue pellet smoke rolling from the AMNPS. The 8Lb Pork Butt is humming along and my Super Sized Butt is in the Recliner with the MES RF Controller in one hand and a Cold Beer in the other!. I paint a pretty picture, well maybe not the Super Sized Butt part, but you can't go wrong with the MES...Granted, if I ever go back to Charcoal...The 22" WSM is on the short list...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky