Woke up and the smoker was off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dluder

Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
Last night we put a 13 pounder in the smoker at 225 (wanted to do lower but it’s cold out and my unit will say a higher temp than it actually is.) At the 4 hour mark (11:30) IT was 142° so I knew everything was okay and I could get some rest.

Well I woke up at 6am and it’s pouring raining and the smoker done ran outta pellets. Checked IT and it dropped to 116. Is it safe to re-fire this thing up and get it back up to temp?

Reactions: JLeonard
1st, the 13 pounder was what? Brisket maybe? Then yes you're fine because of the internal temp you reached in 4 hours. But get a digital thermometer with an alarm that will alert you if there's an issue. Best is a two probe thermometer, one for smoker temp and one for meat temp.

Ryan

. But get a digital thermometer with an alarm that will alert you if there's an issue. Best is a two probe thermometer, one for smoker temp and one for meat temp.

Ryan

This can never be stressed enough!
can I again stress this…. God knows mine has saved me a time or two!

Jim

Too late to comment on the meat, but I have to agree with everyone else about getting remote thermometers.
Also, welcome to the forum from New Mexico.

So sad to keep seeing these 'my smoker died' postings. Smoking overnight requires some forethought all centered around ensuring the smoker keeps working OR immediately warning you if it does not. Please, please folks, get yourself a good digital thermometer with an alarm with at least two probes (grate & meat). Simple basics also apply. Do you have enough fuel? Have you taken into account the cold weather which will consume more fuel to maintain temps? Have you tested your digital thermometer to ensure the batteries are fresh and the alarm actually works loud enough to wake you? It only takes a few moments to go through the list to help ensure your smoker can continue on throughout the night or say 'hey buddy I need a bit of HELP'!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky