Hatch Chilis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I've seen them mentioned on here regularly, but never have given them much consideration because they are unavailable around me...that is until now. Recently, I've seen fresh Hatch chilis at Walmart and am wondering about why they seem to be so popular on here. I'm thinking about buying some so I'm curious as to you guys think about them and what they are good for.

Give me some opinions, please...

I live in NM where they come from.
Season is starting early this year due to the heat.
I got 60# of roasted yesterday. 40# hot for me and 20# medium for wife.
They have a terrific taste and can put them on pretty much anything you want.
Hard to find a pizza place or burger joint that doesn't offer chilies as toppings.

I'm guessing you won't find a store that roasts them back there.
You can roast them yourself on a grill. Turn very often. Roast until skin peels off.
And it you really like them you could buy a small roaster. :emoji_laughing:

A bit of history (abbreviated) …
Chilies migrated from Mexico to California where they were given the name Anaheim.
You can find Anaheim Chilies is many grocery stores.
The Anaheim chilies migrated to New Mexico and are primarily grown in the Hatch Valley.
Hence the name Hatch Chilies.
The soil and climate changed to profile of the chili and has made them so popular.

You won't know if you like them unless you try them.

I lucky to have a store that roast them and cleans them. I still have a lot from last year in freezer. Put in anything that calls for green chiles. You got to watch out for the hot ones as they can be very hot. I will get mild and hot and mix them together. There are several posts here. chilerelleno chilerelleno has some good ones. I also dehydrate and grind for chile pepper. No need to roast if doing that. I will look through my recipes later but think John will chime in.

I became addicted to Hatch Chiles when I worked in New Mexico one summer. 02ebz06 02ebz06 is right, you cant find a place that doesnt offer them. A McDonalds cheeseburger with hatch chiles was my go to snack. And everywhere from Walmart to the corner gas station had someone roasting them when they came in season. The smell always had my mouth watering.
505 southwestern salsa is a staple in my pantry. I can find it in my Walmart here. And I will order off their website for things I cant find in the store.

This link kinda gives ya an idea about the growing area and etc.

Jim

Last edited:
Just picked up 15 lbs from Kroger for roasting and stuffing. These are mild.
IMG_0705.jpeg

I've seen them mentioned on here regularly, but never have given them much consideration because they are unavailable around me...that is until now. Recently, I've seen fresh Hatch chilis at Walmart and am wondering about why they seem to be so popular on here. I'm thinking about buying some so I'm curious as to you guys think about them and what they are good for.

I grew up near Hatch, NM and I use a LOT of green Chile and have several recipes on my food blog such as this smoked Mac & Cheese.

When I lived in Texas, I used to go to Central Market to get Chilies.
They would have a truckload a day brought in from Hatch, NM for about a week.
Roasted them in front of store.
They have some some of their own Chili recipes (a PDF).

Attachments

• Hatch Chili Recipes.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 31

As a native New Mexican, that recently moved to Missouri, I needed to find a source for Green Chile and found this place: https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/. They are a little pricey but I have been happy with their products. Just FYI: Fresh are always the best, but roasted and frozen are very good as well and the hotter they are, the more flavor they have-----Just remember---The hot ones can sometimes be very-very hot.

You got to watch out for the hot ones as they can be very hot. I will get mild and hot and mix them together.

Frozen ones are good if you can't get fresh ones.

Fresh are always the best, but roasted and frozen are very good as well and the hotter they are, the more flavor they have-----Just remember---The hot ones can sometimes be very-very hot.
Thanks guys. It will be fresh only. How do you tell the hot ones from the milder ones?

• Haha
Reactions: chilerelleno
As a native New Mexican, that recently moved to Missouri, I needed to find a source for Green Chile and found this place: https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/. They are a little pricey but I have been happy with their products. Just FYI: Fresh are always the best, but roasted and frozen are very good as well and the hotter they are, the more flavor they have-----Just remember---The hot ones can sometimes be very-very hot.
I am waiting on 18# of extra hot green chilis from them. I've been quite happy ordering from them for a few years now.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Hatch Chile is a brand not a specific Chile per se. They are grown in the Hatch valley.
Variety includes:

Aneheim is a large meaty pepper that is mild.

Big Jim is a large meaty pepper that runs medium

Sandia is a slightly smaller pepper that runs hot.

These are just the basic offerings and there are a lot of other varieties available with different heat levels.
Im in Colorado where we have the Pueblo Chile and what we call “hot” aneheims these are very delicious as well but all of ours run medium for heat.

Here is a recipe for a staple at our house in roasted green Chile gravy.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/nm-style-pork-green-chile.318214/

Here is a picture of me roasting the Chile over coals.

IMG_0696.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky