Ham Chili (yeah I know...)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BKING!

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Talbott TN
So I had a ham bone with plenty of meat on it that was frozen and needed using. I’ve never done anything with them in the past and my wife though I should make good use of it. I also don’t trust running appliances while I’m not home (a crock pot about burned our house down growing up). So I used my kamado for a low and slow set it and forget it cook.

I got my smoker to 225 deg during my lunch break and added:

1 ham bone with plenty of meat left on it

1 bag of dry pinto beans (the ones in plastic bags you actually have to cook)

Water: I used about 6 cups but this will vary depending on how much beans you use. The bag it comes in should tell you how much to use.

Seasoning (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne)

2 cans of Rotel.

Sorry that I didn’t measure exact amounts as I normally never measure lol.

I cooked it for 8 hours and added the rotel at the end. The meat fell off the bone and it was delicious! I might actually prefer this over traditional ground beef. Give this a try if you have a leftover ham bone and you don’t know what to do with the meat left on it.

Attachments

• 14FA5F9B-79FB-4E10-9C3A-B2F1EF50FB5F.jpeg
    14FA5F9B-79FB-4E10-9C3A-B2F1EF50FB5F.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 52
  • EEEDE704-8A95-43E3-9DD8-9A70CAFDBC47.jpeg
    EEEDE704-8A95-43E3-9DD8-9A70CAFDBC47.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 52
Scratch that. I definitely prefer this to beef lol. The saltiness of the ham really kicks up the chili.

I’ll try that. That would work perfectly. Can’t let the best meat on the ham go to waste!
It's why I always keep and freeze the ham bone! That or split pea and ham soup! Also I never use a crockpot now.. check into getting an Instant Pot. Pressure cooker/crockpot all in one!

Reactions: BKING!
It's why I always keep and freeze the ham bone! That or split pea and ham soup! Also I never use a crockpot now.. check into getting an Instant Pot. Pressure cooker/crockpot all in one!

I have one. Would the beans cook ok in that?

We've done them in there. Though I always cook beans after soaking them any how. I know my instant pot came with a recipe booklet which had beans in it, but just google up beans in it for timing etc. Since it's a pressure cooker, I'd imagine they'd get done in under an hour.

I still do beans in a huge soup pot with enough water you always end up with burns from emptying it etc. Though the instant pot would no doubt actually make better beans and rice because of the pressure system leeching more flavour from the bone and meat!

The Brother and SIL of the wife's brings a ham to our Christmas gathering. The wife always scores the bone after it is carved off.
She makes Navy Bean Soup with it. Yummie!

Chili comes in a can.
imageService

That is some great looking chili!
We usually use the ham bone for pea or bean soup, but will have to give it a try in chili!
Thanks for the idea!
Al

That chili looks great. I too would prefer it over ground beef. I get tired of ground beef chili quickly. I actually prefer veggie chili to it.

Great way to use up a ham bone. I imagine purchasing some ham hocks would make a good substitute if no bone in freezer.

Like others, we always Make "Ham, Beans, and Taters" with our Ham bone & pieces that didn't end up in nice slices.
However that Ham Chili looks mighty Tasty!! I gotta give that a Try!! I like it!
Here's ours:
Double Smoked Ham & Beans & Taters

Bear

Just saw this post BKING. Thats some good lookin chili. Pork as the protein for Chili won me my first Chili cook off. We usually do the Navy bean with the bone but gonna toss it in the next pot of chili.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky