Grinding Meat For Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suds15

Original poster
Jul 11, 2023
Hola Everyone
A couple of questions for people who bring their own burger meat

Inside round is on special this week for 6.00 a lb.
Has anyone used this cut for burger? Thinking of getting 5 or six pounds and using brisket trappings to up the fat content. I also have sliced pork belly I can use. Thoughts?

When you mix pork and beef for burgers, what ratio is best?

Great forum here. Thanks All

60-40 works for the Hipshot burgers I make, various cuts of beef and porkbutt. They are great cooked over hot coals, I prefer straight 100% beef done on the flattop. RAY

Reactions: Suds15 and jcam222
If you mean just for hamburgers, just grind a brisket. Trim the really hard fat and toss it. Grind the rest.

Reactions: Suds15
60-40 works for the Hipshot burgers I make, various cuts of beef and porkbutt. They are great cooked over hot coals, I prefer straight 100% beef done on the flattop. RAY

Thank You Sir. Food for thought.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Not sure your location, but $6 per pound is more than the ground beef I pick off the cooler at local grocery store that grinds daily.
About the same price here in Canada. Bought Costco burger for years. Just not the same as doing your own.

If you want to try something different and save some dough, try all pork burgers. Brat burgers are a big thing here and loose brat is sold all over. Honestly, they would likely win over GB if you have a good mix and grill them. Another one is "pizza burgers". Have not run them in a long time (that needs to change) but also big here. Use an italian sausage mix, sear/grill, top with mozz, and pizza sauce. Swear I posted it maybe it's in another thread but ground pork + GB (like 50/50) for sloppy joes works insanely well. Same for meatballs and loose meat spagetti/bolognese. Back to your original question, I think you unfortunately need to get the pork in background at like 20% range for it to remain "hidden" and keeping it mostly beefy tasting.

Here's my brat burger writeup. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...h-coarse-grain-mustard-on-pretzel-bun.311151/

I'll add this for brat patties too. My friends go absolutely nuts over these. When I make it I usually do 20 lbs now and sell at least 10 lbs. Recipe is compliments of Polka Polka
Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice:

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (NOT 20!) (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Reactions: Polka and zwiller
I generally do 50% chuck (or whatever roast I have frozen), 50% brisket. It's great for using up brisket trim, I'm about to grind some up with lamb and pork for a Bolognese.

I'll add this for brat patties too. My friends go absolutely nuts over these. When I make it I usually do 20 lbs now and sell at least 10 lbs. Recipe is compliments of Polka Polka
Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice:

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (NOT 20!) (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
what meat?

Inside round is on special this week for 6.00 a lb.
Has anyone used this cut for burger? Thinking of getting 5 or six pounds and using brisket trappings to up the fat content. I also have sliced pork belly I can use. Thoughts?

When you mix pork and beef for burgers, what ratio is best?
I'm also in the 60/40 ratio of pork to beef. This makes some really good burgers (and meatballs too) and they stay moist.
Often I'll go 40/60 when mixing pork and wild game and pork to preserve a little of the gaminess. Unless.... (and this happens all the time) a family member only wants a hint of gaminess.
To0A4Qn.jpg
Back to your question about grinding your own meats, chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat, sirloin and round is usually 10% to 12% fat, and brisket will be 20% + fat. But, it's hard to pass up whole muscle meat on sale and grinding it yourself. One thing some folks skip is coarse grinding meats to use in tacos, chili, stew, and the like.
uc0pxlJ.jpg

Making custom grind formulations will raise the bar a little higher. You won't find these "blend" options in the meat case, and it would be special order for the butcher shop. Here are some example blends to get you started. Don't be afraid to experiment:
1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin
2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin
3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin
4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket
5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

Reactions: Suds15 and clifish
I'm also in the 60/40 ratio of pork to beef. This makes some really good burgers (and meatballs too) and they stay moist.
Often I'll go 40/60 when mixing pork and wild game and pork to preserve a little of the gaminess. Unless.... (and this happens all the time) a family member only wants a hint of gaminess.
View attachment 671234Back to your question about grinding your own meats, chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat, sirloin and round is usually 10% to 12% fat, and brisket will be 20% + fat. But, it's hard to pass up whole muscle meat on sale and grinding it yourself. One thing some folks skip is coarse grinding meats to use in tacos, chili, stew, and the like.
View attachment 671235
Making custom grind formulations will raise the bar a little higher. You won't find these "blend" options in the meat case, and it would be special order for the butcher shop. Here are some example blends to get you started. Don't be afraid to experiment:
1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin
2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin
3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin
4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket
5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket
Thank you. That’s a lot of information. I will definitely be using some of it. Beef very expensive in Canada right now so I’m grinding brisket and pork shoulder when I get low

Do you have a Costco close by?

I have one about 300 miles to the south, and 300 miles to the north. So 2 or 3 times a year we will visit one or the other.
Ours is a little closer. They have good sausage. Honey Garlic mild and hot. Very good prices too
Bought some last week. Took the casings off and made Pattie’s. each one weighs 5 ounces give or take a bit.
I have a patty maker so a 5 ounce sausage patty done like a smash burger. Really really good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky