Grilled Dry Aged Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Well got er done. Made some sour cream onion rolls and tried to duplicate Roberts potato casserole. While the steak was good it wasn't better than that last one I grilled when I bought this one but that was one of the best I have done. I wont be revisiting doing this again. Really not impressed. Just give me a nice fresh piece of meat.

20220308_085206.jpg 20220308_154854.jpg

20220308_154217.jpg 20220308_154347.jpg

20220308_155831.jpg 20220308_162214.jpg

Another piece of Jeff's Cheesecake

20220308_170931.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good from here.
I guess from the title, you dry aged this one and you weren't impressed as much as one that wasn't?

It certainly looks awesome. After the time and work of aging it to bad you didn't think the results were worth doing again but guess that's how we figure that kind of thing out. I've never tried aging any

Brian , I think it looks great . What did you gook it on ? Nice markings , and the edge to edge color is spot on . Nice work and input .

Steak looks pretty darned good Brian, the cheesecake looks stellar! I gave up trying to dry age beef in UMAi bags, thought it was a waste of time, money, and meat. RAY

Last edited:
Brian , I think it looks great . What did you gook it on ? Nice markings , and the edge to edge color is spot on . Nice work and input .
My Silver B. Amazing how old that thing is an still works as good as the day I bought it!

Looks good Brian. I've done a lot of reading (and continue to research) this dry age trend. I read yesterday that 28 days was the optimal time for dry aging beef and going beyond that takes the flavor to a bolder/stronger level that not everyone likes? according to that guys article on aged beef, he'd seen some that had been aged for a year but he also said he didn't like beef aged that long. If I do this I may just start with a 28 day aging?

My quest for knowledge continues .... :emoji_laughing:

Looks good Brian. I've done a lot of reading (and continue to research) this dry age trend. I read yesterday that 28 days was the optimal time for dry aging beef and going beyond that takes the flavor to a bolder/stronger level that not everyone likes? according to that guys article on aged beef, he'd seen some that had been aged for a year but he also said he didn't like beef aged that long. If I do this I may just start with a 28 day aging?

I have 2 bags not going to use if you want one.

Thanks for the offer but I've got 3 bags already :emoji_laughing:
Just trying to line up my ducks before I dive off into this deal

Looks Great Brian!!
I agree with you!
I never tried it, but I did a bit of research on it.
When I came to the part where they trim off the Brown outside stuff that used to be good tasty Beef, I took a hard left & exited right there.
Nice Job though!!
Like.

Bear

Beautiful steak! I'm sorry that the Dry Age didn't improve the taste for you, but its cool that you gave it a go. Ive heard mixed reviews of the trend too and you confirmed a lot of negatives Ive read. Especially the waste. One article I read talked about how dry aging used to be a necessity and was not done to improve the flavor. Anyway, a rarity for this forum when i read a thread and decide that there ISNT something I want to put time, $, and effort into! Meal looks awesome though, thank you for sharing!

Brian, as others have stated, the steak looks good and I'm sorry it didn't come out as you'd hoped.

I wont be revisiting doing this again. Really not impressed.

I've done the dry aging several times and came to the same conclusion that you did. I've done 45 day, 60 day, and 90 day. All I really noticed was a definitive darkening of the meat. Not a whole lot of flavor difference and certainly not worth the time and waste. I wanted to warn you off but decided not to step on your toes or come across as being negative.

I read yesterday that 28 days was the optimal time for dry aging beef and going beyond that takes the flavor to a bolder/stronger level that not everyone likes?

I did a HUGE amount of research before delving into this. At the 30 day mark you'll see a difference in color and texture but not flavor. It takes a minimum of 45 days to start seeing the flavor enhance and at least 60 days before it's really noticeable. Of course the longer you age it, the more of the outside hardens, becomes inedible, and winds up in the trash or the dog's bowl. At the 90 day mark there is a considerable flavor enhancement but also a considerable amount of loss. By no means am I trying to talk you out of attempting it but thought I'd share my experiences to help with your decision. IMHO, when factoring in the time and loss of product, you're better off just dropping the additional cash up front (as opposed to tossing it in the trash) and just getting some top shelf meat. i know that I'll never dry age a primal cut of meat long term again. To me, it's just not worth it.

Robert

It certainly looks awesome. After the time and work of aging it to bad you didn't think the results were worth doing again but guess that's how we figure that kind of thing out. I've never tried aging any
Thanks. They always look so good in post. Never learn if you don't try.
Looks great!
Steak looks pretty darned good Brian, the cheesecake looks stellar! I gave up trying to dry age beef in UMAi bags, thought it was a waste of time, money, and meat. RAY
Thanks

Thanks Randy. One never knows unless tries.
Looks Great Brian!!
I agree with you!
I never tried it, but I did a bit of research on it.
When I came to the part where they trim off the Brown outside stuff that used to be good tasty Beef, I took a hard left & exited right there.
Nice Job though!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks John. That is to much waste!
Beautiful steak! I'm sorry that the Dry Age didn't improve the taste for you, but its cool that you gave it a go. Ive heard mixed reviews of the trend too and you confirmed a lot of negatives Ive read. Especially the waste. One article I read talked about how dry aging used to be a necessity and was not done to improve the flavor. Anyway, a rarity for this forum when i read a thread and decide that there ISNT something I want to put time, $, and effort into! Meal looks awesome though, thank you for sharing!
Thanks Jed.
Brian, as others have stated, the steak looks good and I'm sorry it didn't come out as you'd hoped.
Thanks
I've done the dry aging several times and came to the same conclusion that you did. I've done 45 day, 60 day, and 90 day. All I really noticed was a definitive darkening of the meat. Not a whole lot of flavor difference and certainly not worth the time and waste. I wanted to warn you off but decided not to step on your toes or come across as being negative.
You did right. Was something I needed to try. Potato Casserole was really good. The directions for onion rolls used a bread machine which I don't have. Winged it using a stand mixer and finished by hand. They took twice as long to bake for some reason? Said 375 for 18 minutes and was more like 40 but they came out good. Maybe because I had Iron Skillet below them with taters. I always temp bread around 195-200 before removing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky