food loading placement question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crod

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Roach, Missouri
I'm working on smoking a brisket and a couple pork butts for fathers day. I'm working with a char griller duo with side fire box. When I load the brisket and butts which one should I put on the top rack. Or should I try to fit them all on the lower rack.

Another question is should I start them all the same time or brisket first for 3-4 hours then the butts. The brisket is 10.5 and butts 8 and 9 lbs thanks for any help.

You are looking at some where in the neighborhood of 20+ hours. Get them all on and rotate them every couple of hours so none are close to the heat source all the time...JJ

Yea this will be a new one for me. my longest smoke yet is 14 hrs.  I can get a good 5 hours a load of charcol so it will be an up and down night tonight.  my last 9lb pork roast took 14 hours which is why I was thanking the 3-4 hours different starting times.  Thanks for the advice jj
thumb1%20copy.gif

JJ is right on! The last time I smoked a brisket it was 11# and I did 2 - 9# butts at the same time and they all finished up right at 19 hours, I put them all on together.

thanks guys.  I'm kinda new to all this and thanks to this forum I have learned a lot about preparing food on the smoker.  keep up the good work guys
thumb1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky