new here looking for expert advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danny Gal

Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
There are so many varied opinions on some of the basics of smoking so I'm looking for some consistant expert advise. I've used a charcoal smoker, gas smoker and now working with pellet smoker. My first smoke was salmon came out great and have been hooked ever since. Also beef brisket, ribs, turkeys (every thanksgiving), and chicken. Looking to smoke my first corned beef. My first question is how long should I soak a 3# corned beef. Google comes up with 48 hrs to 2 hrs. I hate to waste my time and meat by using poor advise.

Thanks, Dan from Northern Virginia retired

Howdy Dan, welcome to the group from New Mexico.

I'm no expert here, but if you bought Corned Beef, then I think the work is already done for you.

You mentioned smoking it. Once you do that, it is no longer Corned Beef, it will be Pastrami.

There are so many varied opinions on some of the basics of smoking so I'm looking for some consistant expert advise. I've used a charcoal smoker, gas smoker and now working with pellet smoker. My first smoke was salmon came out great and have been hooked ever since. Also beef brisket, ribs, turkeys (every thanksgiving), and chicken. Looking to smoke my first corned beef. My first question is how long should I soak a 3# corned beef. Google comes up with 48 hrs to 2 hrs. I hate to waste my time and meat by using poor advise.

Thanks, Dan from Northern Virginia retired
I have soaked for up to 8 hours, changing the water several times. That has worked for me when I did pastrami from a brisket corned beef.

I have soaked for up to 8 hours, changing the water several times. That has worked for me when I did pastrami from a brisket corned beef.
Did you make the Corned Beef or Buy it ?
Didn't think soaking was necessary with store bought.
When I made Pastrami, yes, I did soak it for 8 hours.

I usually soak mine in a big pot of water (18-20qt pot) in the frig over night to desalinate some. If it were a smaller pot I'd change water once too.

Welcome to SMF from CO.

I usually do over night with a couple water changes. 48 hours is not necessary.

Reactions: mike243
Well, guess that tells you I've never bought a Corned Beef before. Haha

Last edited:
My first question is how long should I soak a 3# corned beef. Google comes up with 48 hrs to 2 hrs.
I just did 2 from store bought .
I start by taking a small slice and frying it to see how salty it is .
The first one I soaked for a couple hours , changed the water every 30 minutes .
It actually could have used some salt in the end .

The second one I only soaked for 30 minutes , then dumped the water .
It was perfect for my taste .

I'm doing shorter soaks , and I don't add any salt in the rub for smoking .

Look at the label and see how much salt is in a serving , and how much a serving size is .
That and a quick fry test should give you an idea on how long to soak .
Good rule of thumb above too .

You have to tell us how much salt you want in the pastrami. We are extremely salt sensitive, so I soak for 48 hours and that meets our requirements. People that want more salt will soak for less. You may take a couple of attempts to zero in on it.

Best way is to start with a fry test to determine the salt level as far as your taste. Soak in a large stockpot or the like for a few hours if necessary and fry test again. Repeat until you like the salt level and then move on. There is no, "One size fits all" as far as soak time since some people tolerate salt more than others.

Reactions: zwiller
Welcome home, soak for 24 hrs changing water 2-3 times, season normally and smoke.

yes we do
I'm sure you have a method that works for you when doing pastrami .
The 2 I did last week I decided to follow thirdeye's advice and finish in the instant pot .
The second one was the best result .
Smoke to 160 IT , then into the instant pot for 50 minutes with a natural release .
Completely tender but not falling apart .

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Rinse or short soak and go fer it. Yeah it's hard to generalize but it's been a LOOONG time since we got stuck with oversalty CB. Seems to me the MFRs have adapted. Best would be to learn to cure one yourself so you have complete control. It's easier to do than people think. That said, if you're going for boiled dinner, you might have to actully add salt due to same.

I'm sure you have a method that works for you when doing pastrami .
The 2 I did last week I decided to follow thirdeye's advice and finish in the instant pot .
The second one was the best result .
Smoke to 160 IT , then into the instant pot for 50 minutes with a natural release .
Completely tender but not falling apart .
Will try that with the one I have in the fridge...thx What setting did you use?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky