First time smoking "Dino Bones"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chokeonoursmoke

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
PA
First time smoking beef short ribs.Very happy I found a local butcher to give me the cut I was looking for.

Smoked these in my MES 30 using the 3-2-1 method. They came out amazing.I actually shed a tear when I pulled them out smoker. So majestic!
GALLERY]

They look great. Beef ribs can be hard to cook. For me anyway

You know you've done good when it makes you weep a bit!

Looks like you got a really good pull back on those as well. I'll take a plate of good beef ribs over a ribeye steak most any day of the week.

Points for your first beef ribs!

Last edited:
Reactions: chokeonoursmoke
It took me a long time to find decent beef ribs around here. Finally sourced them through a restaraunt supply house. Lots of meat and full racks. I have to buy by the case which is 6 racks. No problem they freeze well in the cryo. I love beef ribs and yours look super. Something about the smoker that turns beef from good to mouthwatering.

My wife calls my beef ribs prime rib on a stick!

It took me a long time to find decent beef ribs around here. Finally sourced them through a restaraunt supply house. Lots of meat and full racks. I have to buy by the case which is 6 racks. No problem they freeze well in the cryo. I love beef ribs and yours look super. Something about the smoker that turns beef from good to mouthwatering.
My wife calls my beef ribs prime rib on a stick!

Yeah I lucked out on finding an awesome butcher right in the town next me. They actually bring in the back to the band saw and say " point and I'll cut." I love how tender and juicy they come out, with just the right amount of fat!

Looks great for 1st time anything you would change? I've not done beef ribs yet what temp did you smoke at? :points1:

Thanks! I smoked at 250 the cooked alot faster then i planned. At 195 i pulled them and wrapped them and let them rest for about an hour. Then put them back on the smoker at 200 for an hour. Only thing i would think about changing is not doing the last hour smoke. Just resting then right to the plate. Think i lost a tiny bit of juicyness in thr last hour. I also used a mop sauce on half the ribs. Noticed that half were super moist!

Warren

i'm going to be doing beef short ribs this weekend for the first time and had a couple of questions i hope you guys could help answer:

1) regarding the method, i really prefer not to wrap. the few times i've wrapped ribs before it's never seemed worth the added hassle. i'd rather just leave them on the smoker longer. so, with that said, can i avoid wrapping and still get tender ribs? seems everyone here wraps. 

2)  time-wise, they're about 1.5" - 2" thick. if i don't wrap, am i really looking at 10 hrs or so? i'm fine with that, just want to know for planning purposes. fyi, they are already cut into single ribs (which still means a wide and thick rib, typically). 

thanks for any response...

i'm going to be doing beef short ribs this weekend for the first time and had a couple of questions i hope you guys could help answer:

1) regarding the method, i really prefer not to wrap. the few times i've wrapped ribs before it's never seemed worth the added hassle. i'd rather just leave them on the smoker longer. so, with that said, can i avoid wrapping and still get tender ribs? seems everyone here wraps. 

2)  time-wise, they're about 1.5" - 2" thick. if i don't wrap, am i really looking at 10 hrs or so? i'm fine with that, just want to know for planning purposes. fyi, they are already cut into single ribs (which still means a wide and thick rib, typically). 

thanks for any response...
Nope I never wrap anything some do some don't I don't. Not sure how long you have been on the forum but one of the things you will learn is most people will give you their personal preference. There is more then one way to do most things and still get great end results. How long it takes to cook them is based on what temperature you cook at and how done you want them. Do you have a probe thermometer? I would cook around 145 and not over 160 internal temp. Remember that they will continue to cook some after pulling off the heat.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky