First time Cornell Chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckbros

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 24, 2019
I did Cornell Chicken using thighs last night on the Weber. I made the sauce exactly like the recipe.
The original recipe states "
Note: Per Baker’s original preparation, the sauce is not a marinade; it’s a basting material that should be brushed on the broiler halves every few minutes during cooking. Leftover sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks".
I did not marinade the chicken, just used it as a brush on sauce as the note states. I basted & turned every 10 minutes. It was good but not as good as I expected from all of the reviews I read about it. I have a lot of sauce left over & will marinade the thighs the next time. Hopefully with better results.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm not an expert on Cornell chicken , but I've always use it as a marinade the night before , then brushed it on while grilling . Toss whatever's left .

It seems as though most people marinate the Cornell Chicken. I thought I’d try just the basting. I read where the upstate New Yorkers fireman do Cornell Chicken for their fundraisers. I wouldn’t think they would marinate a couple of hundred chicken halves so I decided not to marinate. Like I said, it was good but not as good as I thought it would be from all of the high reviews.

I believe the original does not marinate , like you say .
Did you see the stickies at the top of the poultry forum , or did you get it online ?

I’ve been thinking of making this for quite some time. I got the recipe online but I’ve also been reading about it on this site. Almost all of the recipes are the same and almost every one marinates.

It used to be the halves were not marinated, but heavily mopped at each flip. (I think Steve H had some pics of the racks used in these parts.) So with every other flip, the meat side is down, and the bone side serves as a cradle for all that vinegary goodness. That said, for the last several years we've been able to buy them pre-marinated, up to two or three days. They come in a sealed bag in a heavy duty waxed box. Do not, however, use the bagged sauce to mop, as the local Spanish teacher advised at one fundraiser. Sickened customers are not repeat customers!

The chicken half cradle makes sense. That would theoretically act as a marinate. I definitely will try it again but this time I will marinate 24 hours.

There isn't a wrong way to do this. I prefer to marinate for at least 24 hours. Up to two days works too. Sometimes I'll baste. It is best to get one of those small "mops" for this. Hot sear. Then indirect. Or direct for the entire cook. Whatever tickles your pickle. It's great bird. I just prefer to get the marinade throughout it.

Reactions: JLeonard
On a side note. I've seen these roadside VFW cooks taking the chicken out of coolers where they have been marinating. Though, I doubt 24 hours. Probably a few hours.

Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like marinate is the way to go. Goning to try this again real soon but will do the marinate for 24 hours this time.

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like marinate is the way to go. Goning to try this again real soon but will do the marinate for 24 hours this time.
Excellent! Let us know your thoughts. I'm going to start marinating some tomorrow.

I use the same as Jeff . Marinate overnight . Direct heat the whole time . Flip and mop .
The smell is amazing .

Just recently done a batch of boneless and skinless thighs 24-36 hours. Cooked some on the griddle and some on the weber.
To me it was way to vinegar forward but worked great for Italian grilled chicken salad.

Reactions: zwiller
Just recently done a batch of boneless and skinless thighs 24-36 hours. Cooked some on the griddle and some on the weber.
To me it was way to vinegar forward but worked great for Italian grilled chicken salad.
That’s what I was wondering about. How much vinegar flavor do you get when you marinate?

That’s what I was wondering about. How much vinegar flavor do you get when you marinate?
Being that I'm not big on vinegar flavors even though I'm from the Carolina's. I thought it was rather strong.
Some family and friends liked it and I got asked to try it with my normal bone in skin on thighs. Don't think I'll marinate in it though.

Being that I'm not big on vinegar flavors even though I'm from the Carolina's. I thought it was rather strong.
Some family and friends liked it and I got asked to try it with my normal bone in skin on thighs. Don't think I'll marinate in it though.
I did not marinate the first time and it came out ok but not what I was expecting with all of the good reviews. I will marinate the next time & see how it is. Thanks for your input.

I wouldn’t think they would marinate a couple of hundred chicken halves so I decided not to marinate. Like I said, it was good but not as good as I thought it would be from all of the high reviews.
THANKS for that. I though the same as you so thanks for taking one for the team.

I like acids in my marinades, but there is ALOT of vinegar in this. I bet they simply dunk the chicken and throw in a cooler while they load up for the gig/drive/setup/light grill. NO WAY they are making gallons of the stuff for the chicken to swim in overnight like we can do at home. They MIGHT dunk and hold overnight. Then on the basting/mopping. Bet they hit them one time and that's about it. Nothing like we'd do at home like every 5m LOL. I would probably just dunk one time once the skin sets up enough and call it. From here, I think it is essential grill over HIGH heat NOT low and slow. I think the signature flavor is the carmelization and char of the skin along with the vinegar bite.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky