First Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mgb engraver

Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
I am relatively new to this, basically have a gas grill and the truly A Maze N pellet smoker. It truly is amazen!

Chuck Roasts were on sale so I though I'd give it a try, a bit of salt and pepper and i was off and running!

I ran 2 rows of Oak on the pellet smoker and 250 degrees for about 3 hours... Man oh Man it came out much better than expected, I will definitely do more of these...

Now for the questions.

How long will this last in the freezer?

Any suggested rubs would be appreciated.

I'd love to make a non-bbq sauce for this, any thoughts?

Some of the things I have smoked have come out a bit to the dry side

how can I keep this moist? (gas grill at 250 and the pellet smoker)

Compare lots of smoke for a shorter time as to less smoke for longer time.

Thanks in advance!

Marty

Well Marty...it should keep for a few months but first you have to prove you did it...
33.gif

worthless.gif

th_nopicsye3.gif
  We have 
Rules.gif
 ya know....
biggrin.gif

For a sauce, I did a reduction not long ago that was pretty good.  

Cube up some thick bacon and fry it up with some shallots then add about a half cup of dry red wine and some beef stock and reduce by half.  If necessary tighten it up with a little corn starch slurry.

Good luck and get smokin'

Bill

I will try to help...remember this is all my opinion.

I have frozen cooked meat for 6 months in a zipper bag with no problems. Seems like the freezing really brings out the smoky flavor over time.

For rubs for roasts I like a simple SPOG (Salt, Pepper, granulated Onion or powder, granulated Garlic or powder) Sometimes I throw in a little chipotle chili or red pepper flakes for kick.

For a non bbq sauce I like chef jimmyj's smoky au jus. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/chef-jimmyjs-smokey-au-jus

I am assuming (and you know what that does) that you don't have a water pan since you are using a gas grill with an amazen. If you have 2 racks on your grill you could put a water pan on the bottom and your roast on top. Perfect time to use jimmy's au jus too! I smoke at 225 (tops) for roasts but I like slow and low. You could try wrapping it at 160* or so to keep it moist.

If I were you I would take a day or 2 and try several different things with similar cuts of meat.

Hope it helps man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky