First cajun turkey !!!

Discussion in 'Meat Selection and Processing' started by russmn, Apr 18, 2016.

1. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

Smoked my first turkey today!! Here it is!!

mike5051 and foamheart like this.
  2. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

12.5 lb turkey!! Smoked it between 235 and 250. ..... It smoked for about 4 1/2 hours ! It was at 170 breast temp when I removed it! ... It was the best turkey I have ever had !!! Nice and juicy!!! No brine but it was a pre flavored cajun turkey!!

3. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

4. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

This guy was responsible for the amazing turkey!! Also I did use a water pan for this cook which I usually don't use but since turkey is known for being dry ( which I hate) I decided to give it a shot

5. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Never heard of preseasoned turkeys,looks tasty!

6. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

I hadn't either ... Good ole Wally word special... Also it should be noted that it didn't have any cajun tats to it !! But I could see where it was injected and it was very juicy! I also stuffed an onion inside along with a chopped up pear!!! I also rubbed it down with a hot and spicy oil prior to and during the smoke !

7. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great job. And I am a coonazz.....LOL

There are lots of Cajun injections floating around. You didn't mention what wood did you use?

I don't understand why we can only get turkeys at the holidays. I love a sammie, Heck I make dressing and gravy too. Now that's a bun to see, with turkey, dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce...LOL  Sure is good though.

Points! Oh hell yeah!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  8. russmn

russmn Smoking Fanatic

I used cherry wood

9. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

10. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice turkey!  [​IMG]

Mike

11. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking turkey!

Awesome color!

Al