Smofried Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I'm doing one this year and this will be a first for me. I have smoked plenty of turkeys and have fried plenty, but never smoke-fried one so this will be a first, but I have a question. I want to smoke the turkey Wednesday and then fry it Thursday. Who has done it this way and can give me some ideas?

Reactions: JLeonard
I have SmoFried a bunch of them but never the way you are going to do yours. Looking forward to hearing how yours goes

So I've been reading a lot about this and everyone seems to smoke and fry the same day. That being said, the smoked temp before frying is all over the place from 125℉ I.T. to 165℉ I.T. My thoughts right now are to smoke to around 145℉ and then in the fridge overnight. That way I can hopefully satisfy the 4 hour rule. If I didn't have so much other stuff happening Thursday, I'd smokefry then, but we'll see how it goes and I'll let you all know...

Is it food safe to not take the turkey up to poultry done temps and then finish the cook in the fryer next day? I am no expert on that just thought that might be an issue. Maybe not, I know a lot of restaurants flash cook stuff and finish it off to order. Be curious to see how it all turns out!

Is it food safe to not take the turkey up to poultry done temps and then finish the cook in the fryer next day? I am no expert on that just thought that might be an issue. Maybe not, I know a lot of restaurants flash cook stuff and finish it off to order. Be curious to see how it all turns out!
My thinking is above 145℉ in 4 hours on the smoker should be good then chilled below 40℉. The chilling will be in a cooler with ice to chill quickly, then into the fridge. Thoughts?

I think you'll be ok doing it that way. I usually smoke mine to 140-150 then into the hot grease. If you smoke it to 145 then throw it into a cooler with ice it should cool down quickly and be under 40 then out of the cooler and straight into the fryer. I think with that you'll still be under 4 hours total

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I've got my bird on now. Also had a friend bring the legs and thighs from his turkey, to me to smoke, also. These are from a 30 lb. fresh farm raised bird, his daughter has a small farm and raises some of everything. They are HUGE. The skin is very thick compared to a store bought bird and I'm not sure how they'll turn out, but they're on the pit, too...

Reactions: marsman1
The chilling will be in a cooler with ice to chill quickly, then into the fridge. Thoughts?
Charles , that cool down needs to be as fast as possible in my opinion , and takes longer than people think .
It's the down , then back up that I worry about .
Enjoy , be safe .

I took the turkey to 150℉ in the breast and about 160℉ in the thighs. Off the smoker and into an XL Ziploc bag and then in a cooler with a bag of ice on the bottom and a bag on top...
20231122_133729[1].jpg

20231122_162248[1].jpg

This should chill it down fairly quickly. Tomorrow, it will be deep fried.

Those are the legs and thighs a friend brought me to smoke for him. They are off of a 30 lb. bird raised on a small local farm...

So far so good Charles. Great color on those.

Point for sure
Chris

I think of I did this I'd cook to 150 ish and then immediately just flash fry to crisp the skin. That should give carryover temps to safe zone.

Well Charles, you done went and done done it again: truly fascinated me. What an amazing looking turkey my friend. That looks absolutely outstanding. Great job and that took some patience to go through all the steps. Cannot wait to see the whole meal...and of course, your zoo in attendance :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Well here it is after frying...
20231123_122310[1].jpg

...and cut up...
20231123_124955[1].jpg

...and compared to a regular fried turkey...
20231123_125633[1].jpg

As y'all can see, definitely darker and there was no sugar at all in the rub or injection. The fry time was about 25 minutes total for this 16 lb. bird. Not too appealing to the eye and somewhat dried out in places, but everyone loved it. The smoke flavor really came through and was a hit. Me? I think I can do better...much better.

Overall, I was disappointed. Thoughts for next time are to use different probes. I think my thermometer was off by about 10℉ to the cool side and may not be suited for deep frying, but I don't know why. I had smoked this turkey yesterday to about 160℉ in the thigh and 150℉ in the breast. It was put in the oil at 375℉ and the oil temp leveled out at 350℉. Maybe smoke it to 140℉ and 150℉ and fry at 325℉ oil temp.

Ultimately, smoking and frying the same day would have better results, but that wasn't an option for me this year. I had to try it and fail or succeed is how to learn...

I'd still eat it Charles. I've never fried a turkey, but maybe the skin took a beating because you had to reheat as well as finish cooking the bird, and the skin was already pretty much finished before you started frying. So it got a little over cooked waiting for the meat to finish cooking. Also I don't think all thermometers are made for deep frying. I know we had a special therm made to take the temp of the oil. When we deep fried, but that was a few years ago, and things change.

Point for sure
Chris

Nicks little experiment! I’ve dunked a few birds in my day but never this, I think your idea of a a same day dunk just to finish it and crisp the skin would be a ticket for dinner thing!

I'd still eat it Charles. I've never fried a turkey, but maybe the skin took a beating because you had to reheat as well as finish cooking the bird, and the skin was already pretty much finished before you started frying. So it got a little over cooked waiting for the meat to finish cooking. Also I don't think all thermometers are made for deep frying. I know we had a special therm made to take the temp of the oil. When we deep fried, but that was a few years ago, and things change.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris and I agree. The therms are the same ones I use for smoking. They just might not handle being immersed in 350℉ oil, I don't know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky