FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, another testimonial for Jeff's Finishing Sauce.  My friends always told me my pulled pork was good, but to me, it always seemed to be lacking something. Then I found out about finishing sauce! Made a batch last night, squirted it on the pork, and WOW! Now I'm a believer! As God is my witness, my pulled pork will never go sauceless again!

Thanks Jeff!

I am new to SMF, and found this thread from the search function.  I have never done a smoked pork shoulder before, but am excited about the finishing sauce idea SoFlaQuer.  Was thinking I would divide the pulled pork into 2 batches and try one with finishing sauce and one with out and compare.  I really appreciate all of the great advice and comments.  Look forward to learning from all of you.  I will try and post pictures and comments after it is done. Thanks again for all of the great ideas. 

For anyone thinking that this sauce would be too vinegary, I made it for the first time last weekend. It sure smelled like it would be too strong, but when it incorporates into the meat...well I don't think there is anything quite like it. I'm telling you, I will never be without it! I also made a version that included some store bought bbq sauce added in that was pretty good also.

Your sauce is definitely da bomb Jeff.  I drizzled some over my last batch of PP and it gave just the right tang to it all.  A perfect complement to Q.

I made the finishing sauce for the first time last weekend and my girlfriend and I really liked it. I didn't add it directly to the pulled meat, but we each added some when making sandwiches. It's got everything covered and is well balanced - a little tang, sweetness and a touch of heat. Delicious!

fat cap down?  explain that one to me please, someone?  i've always heard(and it makes sense) to have it up so the fat melts in to the meat to flavor and keep moist.  when and why did this change?

fat cap down?  explain that one to me please, someone?  i've always heard(and it makes sense) to have it up so the fat melts in to the meat to flavor and keep moist.  when and why did this change?

I've tried them both ways based on posts here at SMF. Although no 2 smokes are ever identical, I think cap down makes a better result. I don't know why, but it suits my tastes. I've read that the flavor of PP is imparted by breakdown of collagens in the meat, not from the fat. I've also read that having the fat cap down evens out the heat and reduces drying of the meat.

Try them both ways and see if you have a preference.

I love this sauce. Have used it on last 4 or 5 smokes and everyone tells me it is the best pulled pork they have ever had. Of course I don't tell them about the "secret" finishing sauce. I was initially concerned about the vinegar, but once it is mixed into the meat it is divine. If you haven't tried this you are missing out....

I found and used this sauce yesterday and everybody was raving about the pork butt. It gave it that needed touch to make it great. Thanks for sharing this. I know it was some time ago but dude it's the stuff!

Wont be dissappointed. If you do like it though deffinatly tweak it some. I didnt have the cajun seasoning so I just used it as a template and went from there. Good simple sauce.

How much pulled pork will this finishing sauce "finish". I am getting ready to smoke 8 butts. Using this as suggested as a finishing sauce, how much of this do I need to make? I made one batch and it filled a cheapo ketchup bottle about 2/3rds of the way. Don't think that will be anywhere near enough for 8 butts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky