Elk Tenderloin ; Deer Neck Roast - need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bg rtr

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Killen, AL
Has anyone ever smoked an Elk Tenderloin or Deer Neck Roast?  I have a buddy who has each of these and wants me to give it a shot, but I don't know where to start....

What Temp?

How long?

Brine?

Advice on Rubs etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

I shot an elk this past hunting season but haven't smoked anything other than some burgers. It's really lean meat so you have to worry about it drying out. I'd surmise it would be low and slow at 225* and remove it around 130-140* IT.

Try checking the Wild Game section or you can do a search for elk roasts or elk tenderloins on the forum.

I think the elk tenderloin would be great smoked not sure about the neck roast.  I would trim the tenderloin of all silver skin and fat.  Coat with olive oil and your favorite rub.  Rap and in the frig for an over night rest.  I would then rap bacon around and smoke at 225* until an IT of no more than 120*.  Let it rest for 30 minutes covered loosley with foil.  Hope this helps.  John 

Not an elk cook, but I do know that elk and venison should be cooked no more than medium rare. Elk is a similar animal with very lean meat. If you over cook lean wild game it becomes bitter and very dry. No  intramuscular fat, little or no marbling like beef or pork. The tallow and silver skin should all be trimmed off before cooking. I slice the tenderloin in small 1.5" thick medallions (loin chops). I like to tenderize the loin with a mallet then soak it in milk for about 4-6 hours at most. Discard the milk and add more milk and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Drain milk again and pat dry.  Salt and pepper then Roll in flour and fry in olive oil and some butter. You can use vegetable oil too. If you do use butter and olive oil be careful not to get the heat too high. These oils burn much easier than vegetalbe oil. 

Here is a favorite recipe of mine.

Hammer and marinade the meat as indicated above then see below.

Cook  1-1/2 lbs venison, elk-- hot (sear) the meat until about rare or medium rare at most. Only about three minutes on each side or so. You can then add 3/4 cup of chardonnay or dry table wine to the hot pan.Put the wine in just when the chops are done while the pan is still hot. The cold wine will steam so put the cover on the fry pan for a minute or so until the alchohol burns off. Remove the meat and keep warm while you finish making the sauce. After the steaming and sizzle stops remove the meat add the balance of the ingredients to the pan.

A tablespoon of capers, 1/4 cup snipped parsley, 2-3 tbls lemon juice, 1/4 - 1/2 cup of milk and sauteed onions and mushrooms to the mix to make a nice gravy. Sautee the onions and mushrooms in a little olive oil or butter for about 5 minutes before you add it to the gravy mix. I usually do this ahead of time. Add more milk or water to make the gravy thinner since the liquid will evaporate. Salt and pepper to taste. Use this sauce to serve over the meat....Enjoy........
439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky