Easter Butt Time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gixxerfrk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Time to do a little Easter Butt on my newly upgraded Brinkmann Vertical w/Side Fire Box. Rub is a mixture of McCormick’s Bacon Chipotle, Twisted Q Cane ‘N Maple, brown sugar, and cumin. Going to inject with an apple juice/cider vinegar base with maple syrup and rub added for additional flavor. Smoking with Kingsford Blue and Apple chunks.
88C76A2A-85EC-43D8-AEA5-BEE35CAC40CB.jpeg

27A776A3-380A-4880-9194-673627C18795.jpeg

I see you have 2 fans on your firebox. Is that needed for more CFM airflow or just for evening the airflow through the box?

According to their website only 1 jumbo fan is needed but that’s just not the case. I can drive it to 320 and hold with two of their Pit Viper fans but I wanted to be able to drive to 330 quickly and be able to hold steady with minimal fluctuations so I am running dual Pit Bull fans. It’s a great setup!

Reactions: JC in GB
I really like it. I think it only works with BBQ Guru controllers but you can save cooker, controller, area, and recipe info to share with others. Plus you can upload pics to cooks as you go.

Taken just over the 2 hour mark. Also, we are getting a little rain at the moment.
703D0648-3DF6-4EF8-B6C5-5DAEA0F1C7AE.jpeg

I have run into a hiccup. It started raining lightly but not sure for how long until I noticed it. I quickly covered my control unit but now it’s going crazy. Temps swinging up and down on both cook chamber and internal probes. Not sure what I’m going to do as I know my mechanical thermometer is off by up to 50 degrees. Already tried resetting the unit with no improvement. Only backup is my Thermoworks Mk 4

That is bad news... Hope your controller isn't damaged. I was enjoying watching your cook on the app.

I unplugged it for a while and it seems to be working a little better. Even added another temp probe to make sure both probes didn’t start going out at the same time. It seems to be working a little better now but still not right.

It crashed again so we are running purely old school for the remainder of the cook. I decided to throw some burgers in while I was at it.

Got a little excited and forgot to take a picture before shredding but it’s finally done just after 10!
B71BE727-9299-4677-89D4-C0BC8A614678.jpeg

Looks like it turned out well. Nice bark and you can see the smoke ring. It also looks juicy. Nice work! Hope you get your guru back up and running.

Reactions: gixxerfrk
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky