Pulled Pork, Best one ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Hey everyone! Been a while since I posted. I've made Pulled Pork a lot over the years. Tried a lot of different things. Usually comes out OK, but not great. This time my Son Dylan had me use his methods and recipes, and it came out great. Dylan said it was a combination of 3 different recipes he's found. Not a lot of pictures, I was concentrating too much on making this, lol. This was also the largest Butt I've ever made, almost 11 lbs bone in.
Started with a Brine, (I've never brined a Butt before, but since I'm "all in" I did it.) The Brine was Water, Molasses and Kosher salt. Brined for 24 hours, then removed and rinsed. image5(1).jpeg Here it is out of the Brine and rinsed off. Then cross hatch the fat cap and inject with a mixture of 3C Apple Juice, 1C apple cider vinegar, 2T Black Pepper, 2T Kosher Salt (I used less salt due to dietary restrictions.)
image4(1).jpeg Here it is just before injection. Then he insisted I use "Butt Rub", and I did. image6(1).jpeg
I started in the MES at 240' using only Hickory chips and pellets in the AmazN Tube. Started at 1130pm, hoping to have ready around 3pm the next day. Spray with Apple Juice every hour or so.
. image3(3).jpeg
Here it is in the MES just starting. Once the IT hits 165, remove and place in aluminum pan with 4 sticks of butter and pineapple juice in the pan, cover loosely with Aluminum foil, and cook til IT hits 202 or higher as needed for Probe tender.

A mere 18.5 hours later it was ready to remove , wrap and rest an hour.

image0(7).jpeg Here it is finally done and about to be wrapped, etc. IT was 201 but didn't make a difference this was so tender. We pulled it by hand it was so tender and juicy. All ate well and loved it. Very happy with the results, and will do this method each time, from now on. Side note, it was so good, my Wife actually enjoyed it, and she has not tried my pulled pork in 7 years, lol. Thanks for looking in and hope you enjoy.

Perfect. And the best thing is... you have figured out how important time is. Cooking and resting times that is.
Thanks, and yes almost nothing more important than cook and rest times.

Looks fantastic, Mike! I have used Butt Rub, but not in a long time. I mostly roll my own rubs/spice mixes these days. I have not brined or injected one either, so may be giving that a shot.

Looks fantastic, Mike! I have used Butt Rub, but not in a long time. I mostly roll my own rubs/spice mixes these days. I have not brined or injected one either, so may be giving that a shot.
Thanks Doug. I've never used it before, I use Jeff's Rub for most pork, and I used to use an old Butt recipe from 7-8 years ago. This is much simpler though. I'll always use Jeff's for Ribs , everyone here likes Jeff's on the Ribs.

These pork butts take so long I always neglected the rest time, but the one I smoked a couple of weeks ago I stayed up late and rested in a cooler. It made a HUGE difference, and I will never neglect that step again. Yours looks amazing. Glad you saw good results (and the wife was happy).

Reactions: MJB05615
These pork butts take so long I always neglected the rest time, but the one I smoked a couple of weeks ago I stayed up late and rested in a cooler. It made a HUGE difference, and I will never neglect that step again. Yours looks amazing. Glad you saw good results (and the wife was happy).
Consider trying hot and fast to give you that extra time for rest time. 225° VS 275 to 300° grate temp. really makes little difference with pulled pork.

Reactions: MJB05615
I always run my MES wide open on pulled pork projects, it's a work horse , love pulled pork there is so many ways to use it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky