Downsides of Trager Silverton XI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Me propane vertical smoker just took a dump on me! Me 30 year old propane grill needs to be rebuilt ! So I am shopping I'm Costco and they have this new Trager Silverton XI on sale , it ends tomorrow. More than I wanted to spend for a smoker but if it does a good job of grilling also I think I can talk " She who must be obeyed" into i. What are the downsides to grilling on pellets? Can you get high enough temps? Good sear marks? Any plus or negatives you folks can share with me??
Thanks

You'll be doing no grilling on that or any other pellet smoker unless there is a sear station or some equivalent. Most pellet smokers will go a little north of 400... maybe 450 but that's not gonna get you sear marks. There are models that do, for instance the Camp Chef line has an add on propane powerd sear box.

This has an advertised top heat of 500 so it should be at least adequate for searing steak. Has a smoke setting too. I know nothing about it other than seems pricey compared to some nice alternatives.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I've gotten nice sear marks off a pellet grill at 500.
Steak 2020-08-02_1.jpg
Steak 2020-10-30_1.jpg

No experience with the Traeger , and don't know the sale price . For the full retail I would want higher temps , but like said above 500 should get you what you're after .

Might be some better options at the same price point .
I have a different brand and use it for grilling all the time . It's advertised at 600 max temp .
Like a damn blast furnace . I only took it that hot once .
Makes a great steak .
1687700550013.png

1687700586794.png

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thanks for the reply's guys. So what do you guys have that gets to 600 degrees?
I think this is a special unit just made for Costco, Seems to check all the boxes and is a bit pricey at $1500. On the plus side it does all I want in one unit, and I don't have 3 or 4 bottles of propane standing around. Recommendations for other dual purpose smokers that might be a little cheaper?

Probably very few that can get to 600 due to thin single wall construction.
However, many new ones have a direct flame ability that lets you cook right over the flame.
Downside to that is it is a small area and could probably only do one steak.
At my previous house I had a Memphis Elite built-in for my ODK.
It was double wall SS and could go up to 700f.
You don't want to know the price.

Soooo, as my research continues I wonder about Camp Chef's advertising. They call it a pellet smoker & grill. So if it's a grill why do you need a $350 Side Kick Sear Station??

I just looked on the Recteq site and the RT700 ( $1019.15 ) has temp range from 180 to 700f.
That might be an option for you.

The $1019.15 price is a sale price for this weekend. Regularly $1199
The RT1070 with cabinet has a larger cooking area and is only about $70 more.

Last edited:
So what do you guys have that gets to 600 degrees?
I have a Weber SmokeFire EX4 . It's a fantastic smoker and grill .
I smoked and eye round and a rack of ribs the other day . Pulled that stuff off and cranked it up to do burgers for supper .
Smoked some tequila lime chicken last week ,
1687707254991.png
Then opted to grill some chicken parts a couple days later .
1687707400122.png
I think this is a special unit just made for Costco,
I had that thought also . It doesn't show up on their website .
My opinion , for 1500 you have other options .
Listen , that might be , and probably is a great smoker . Just be hard to find someone who has experience with one . Also , might be a reason it's on sale .
Keep us posted on what you do .

I would recommend you look at the Recteq lines, they go to 700, there is a sale for the moment and you can get a 1250 model for 1500 shipped free to your house. I have a 1250 and it is the real deal! I have no hesitation is recommending a Recteq, ie pick up the 700 model with $400 in pellets and you will be at the same price point you mentioned above…..

PS yes we do pizza in our 1250…..it gets that hot!

I would recommend you look at the Recteq lines, they go to 700, there is a sale for the moment and you can get a 1250 model for 1500 shipped free to your house. I have a 1250 and it is the real deal! I have no hesitation is recommending a Recteq, ie pick up the 700 model with $400 in pellets and you will be at the same price point you mentioned above…..

PS yes we do pizza in our 1250…..it gets that hot!
I think SmokinAl SmokinAl and tx smoker tx smoker have large Recteq as well.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Just bought a RT1250 and just had my second cook on it. Works like a charm. Gave away my Traeger Ironwood 885 that I've had for a few years. The 1250 is less expensive and much more of a grill. The Traeger app is a little nicer, but I could never get it to work. RT app is a little more simplistic, but has dual wifi connectivity and fantastic range. I'll never go back.

Side note, planned to sear a tri-tip yesterday on the 1250 and got the temp up to 605 when I learned that you have to clean out the grease if you're gonna bring it up that high. Yeah....first grease fire I've ever experienced. Got it out in about 60 seconds and the grill handled it without an issue, but to answer your question, it get hot.

Side side note, there was a little scratch on part of the base of the module that I bought. Emailed their customer support and within 12 hours they had it resolved with overnight delivery. I highly recommend the company!!

Just bought a RT1250 and just had my second cook on it. Works like a charm. Gave away my Traeger Ironwood 885 that I've had for a few years. The 1250 is less expensive and much more of a grill. The Traeger app is a little nicer, but I could never get it to work. RT app is a little more simplistic, but has dual wifi connectivity and fantastic range. I'll never go back.

Side note, planned to sear a tri-tip yesterday on the 1250 and got the temp up to 605 when I learned that you have to clean out the grease if you're gonna bring it up that high. Yeah....first grease fire I've ever experienced. Got it out in about 60 seconds and the grill handled it without an issue, but to answer your question, it get hot.

Side side note, there was a little scratch on part of the base of the module that I bought. Emailed their customer support and within 12 hours they had it resolved with overnight delivery. I highly recommend the company!!
I have heard good things about their customer service many times.

Oh any time I take mine above 375, it gets a good cleaning and new foil….. that grease will flash!

Reactions: babydocsmoker
As usual you guys age the greatest!
Leaving today on a i month RV trip so this discission is put on hold. Did some research on my old grill, it's a Tec 2 burner and saw what new ones go for!!! Might be changing my mind about getting rid of it.

Got back last week---wonderfull time, bride, 2 four legged kids and 4 other great couples. Only hic ups, smoke all over Alberts and air con not working when we got home in 100 degree weather! Back to business. Think I have narrowed it down to a Tectec700 or Master Built GF 800. I know this is a pellet forum but what do you folks think of those two??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky