Do I Need More Air Holes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bud J

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I have a Char Broil analog electric and it has two small air holes at the bottom right side. This side/bottom is also where the heating element is.
I soon may be using the AMNPS tray and will be trying it on the left side/bottom on the other side of the element. Question is with the two small holes on the right side, would they be enough or is it feasible to add a few holes on the left side?
I may also try mailbox mod but wanted to try in the oven first.

2538D4AE-53FD-4109-9064-B435D5370C38.jpeg

I would try it in the stock configuration before you start moding, you might find out you don't need to do any thing but buy meat and wood

Reactions: chopsaw
I would start with the AMNPS on the floor, bottom left, and see how it goes. With that design, I would say it will need more Air and it will be getting very hot under the Drip Tray. You will see. Next step, try it above the Perforated Drip Tray. A Standoff or Legs made from Bolts may help.
Still no Joy? The Mailbox Mod never fails...JJ

I would try as is first . That way you know if your mods helped or not .

That’s the one thing I don’t like about this unit...the drip tray. I understand their design but it has already caused problems with the chips not burning properly since chips are too tight against the pan, (another post).
I like the config of the MES’s with the drip pan at the bottom.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky