Deer sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tballard169

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
I made a batch of 25 pounds of sticks about a month ago and now want to make more......I get my sticks kits from butcher and packer. They only have 10 and 25 pound kits. Trying to decide which one to get..

I have roughly 25 pounds of venison trim to grind with 10 pounds of pork to add to it. So I have enough meat at the moment lol....but want to make sure I have plenty of ground deer to last the year. I have about 35 one pound packages right now. The seasoning kit for 25 pounds is 21 bucks and the 10 pound one is 15. Has anyone done a 25 pound kit but done less meat say like 15 pounds? And used less of the mixture? Thanks

Reactions: kruizer
If I remember correctly, there's just a Seasoning Pack & a Cure Pack, So if it's for 25 pounds & you're doing 15 pounds, just use 3/5 of both packs, and follow the rest of the directions.

Bear

Hmm
How about doing a 10# batch now and you freeze the balance for future?
Is your 35# straight venison or blended?

It's roughly 25 pounds of deer trim with a 9 pound pork loin to grind and mix into the deer. So about 35 pounds total. I do have some roasts vacuumed sealed for jerky I could add to it.

Doing 10 pounds of brats tomorrow and have 6 pounds of roast thawing for jerky

Ever tried making dried venison from the roast?
I'm assuming the roast is haunch not shoulder being you're making jerky.
Dried venison is a treat to my palate.

Ever tried making dried venison from the roast?
I'm assuming the roast is haunch not shoulder being you're making jerky.
Dried venison is a treat to my palate.

The cuts are from the hindquarters....I have had dried deer done before but never done it myself. I need to replace the heating element in my smoker

Possibly this article may help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky