Corned Beef Pastrami ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I mentioned three weeks ago I had put some beef in a cure for corned beef. You know back when I talked about deboning the ham (which is still curing !). It is for St.Paddy's so today I removed it from the brine and allowed it to start drying. Saving that brine right now, not sure why but.......

IMG_8674.JPG

Rinsed well and placed in clear cool water for an hour.... Rinsed and changed water again. Allowed it to sit for another hour.

IMG_8676.JPG

Patted dry and set in the reefer uncovered till tomorrow. when I will rub that baby down!

IMG_8678.JPG

See yas tomorrow! Its now corned raw cured beef.

Last edited:
Reactions: radio
That is gonna be great!!!! Can't wait to see the hero pics!~
I have never cured anything, but keep telling myself I will some day soon!

That is gonna be great!!!! Can't wait to see the hero pics!~
I have never cured anything, but keep telling myself I will some day soon!

There is sooo much knowledge here on curing and I was lucky to find this place. I found it because I had tryed to cure a corned beef with salt peter and no idea what I was doing, lucky I didn't kill me....LOL When you get ready talk to Dave or C farmer or Pop.... so many others I could wear my fingers down juts trying to name 'em all. There is really nothing to it, once you get the basics, wet or dry, amount and type of cure, and how long to cure it. Either tomorrow or Saturday will attempt some rye bread. AND I don't normally use anything as a binder but Thanks to Dave, I made some homemade mustard that'll knock ya socks off. I am saying perfect for pastrami rub. Can ya tell I am excited?

That's going to be awesome Foam. Think I am too late to start mine???? Ha

Good luck. I'm sure it's going to be fine. Anxious to see the final results.

Thanks Phil, I have tried 3 or 4 but they are always soooo tuff or you can't get 'em up with a spoon. I think I am going to smoke this but not dome, then lay it in my roaster on top the carrots, potatoes, onions, and cabbage. Sort of the finish with steam. <shrugs>

What cut is that ??? Top round ??

LOL... caught that did ya.... all meat has gotten so expensive hee lately, if it ain't on sale I don't get it. This is gonna fall apart because its the biggest chuck roast I ever saw! Than means the grain is running north and south instead of east and west. So I'll have pulled pastrami and rye sandwiches. Last year my corned beef was really good, but I cooked it in the roaster with the veggies. But I am not complaining. Below was supper tonight, 1 1/2 inch thick, its only 6.00 and it was awesome! They give me a dollar a pound break because they don't do all the trimming and I am happy cause I get all that delicious fat!!

IMG_8684.JPG

BTW I threw fertilizer today around all the trees, moved some plants around, cleaned the garage a bit, and rebuilt the throttle on the generator. I deserved a steak and a cold beer! I did!

O kee doo kee... Any meat makes good strami... but you knew that....

I was thinking that way, beef is beef its just the chuck doesn't have the marbling a brisket has, but I did look at briskets............. 5.99/lb. Thats what I paid for those 4 ribeye steaks! Thats why I had steaks and I'm curing a 3.99/lb chuckie! If its not any good, I'll try and hide it with home made rye bread, and an awesome pastrami rub. Not sure about the smoke yet, you know yankees don't use pecan. I have a some corn cob and apple... Don't know yet.

Maybe if you used about a 1/2 cup of cure to a quart of water? LOL........Just kidding, just kidding! Shoot you'' be having ham steak unless ya let Dozer eat it all.

Dozer having trouble eating miss pink. Says he ain't ready yet. His first set of pigs he raised

Dozer having trouble eating miss pink. Says he ain't ready yet. His first set of pigs he raised

I gotta tell ya this one, one year I can home for Christmas and it was unusually cold. Pop had just hatched the brooder of chicks and brought 'em inside to keep warm. Family was all here, sister's little boy about 4 maybe 5, took my hand and walked me to the bathroom were the box of chicks were. He wanted to catch one for me to hold and see how soft they were. So when we were finished and walked out he said to me, "Pooh Pah you know what those were?" I looked down and acted stupid and he said, "each one of those is a gumbo". And I sprayed a mouthful of beer everywhere.....ROFLMAO.

Dozier will be fine, its a hard thing to do. But it is part of living in the country.

"Pooh Pah you know what those were?" I looked down and acted stupid and he said, "each one of those is a gumbo"

Art Linkletter would have used that line.... HAHAHAHAHAHA....

I just finished 2 brisket pastrami's, both smoked to 150 IT, then into the SV for 24 hours @ 155. If you haven't already bought a SV machine, the pastrami it makes is worth the price.
Al

Last edited:
I just finished 2 brisket pastrami's, both smoked to 150 IT, then into the SV for 24 hours @ 155. If you haven't already bought a SV machine, the pastrami it makes is worth the price.
Al

Al, when you use this method do you slice and eat right out of the SV or do remove from the SV and griddle or pan fry?

Al, when you use this method do you slice and eat right out of the SV or do remove from the SV and griddle or pan fry?
I have used the method from the 'Serious Eats' site where you SV the day before, rest in fridge overnight, slice cold, then warm up in a pan over the cooking veggies. It was a store bought corned beef and it turned out excellent.

There is sooo much knowledge here on curing and I was lucky to find this place. I found it because I had tryed to cure a corned beef with salt peter and no idea what I was doing, lucky I didn't kill me....LOL When you get ready talk to Dave or C farmer or Pop.... so many others I could wear my fingers down juts trying to name 'em all. There is really nothing to it, once you get the basics, wet or dry, amount and type of cure, and how long to cure it. Either tomorrow or Saturday will attempt some rye bread. AND I don't normally use anything as a binder but Thanks to Dave, I made some homemade mustard that'll knock ya socks off. I am saying perfect for pastrami rub. Can ya tell I am excited?
I'd be curious to see that homemade mustard recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky