No Katz a Snake will have to do.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Retired Spook Retired Spook posted the pastrami thread and got me hankering for some pastrami. With the holiday etc figured best to hold off on a Katz order to ensure safe delivery time so a little Snake will have to tie me over.
IMG_6648.jpeg

So I took a couple SRF corned beef Rounds out of the freezer and in for a 24 hour soak changing water every 4-6 hrs
IMG_6651.jpeg

Loaded them in to the brine bucket and In the to garage refrigerator they go.
IMG_6652.jpeg

I will smoke them In Little Jake on Sunday. Man my mouth is watering already. Time to make the seasoning.

They look good, but if they are already corned beef, why are you putting them in brine again?

I have never seen corned beef round, only corned beef brisket. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. The Wagyu should have enough fat to make a good pastrami.

Reactions: DougE
They look good, but if they are already corned beef, why are you putting them in brine again?

I have never seen corned beef round, only corned beef brisket. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. The Wagyu should have enough fat to make a good pastrami.
they went in water to lessen the salt.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I think a lot of processed pastrami you buy, like Boars Head, is made from round. Your Wagyu round should result in a better fat content and still be leaner than pastrami make from brisket point or beef navel.

I'm sure it'll turn out good, but I guess we got a bit of a wait to see the end product.

I think a lot of processed pastrami you buy, like Boars Head, is made from round. Your Wagyu round should result in a better fat content and still be leaner than pastrami make from brisket point or beef navel.

I'm sure it'll turn out good, but I guess we got a bit of a wait to see the end product.
I refuse to call that Boar's Head pastrami-flavored roasted beef round, pastrami. 🫡

I know that there are a few folks here that are not cray-cray about fat, but "pastrami" has fat, and the fat is a part of what makes pastrami so fricken good! When I was a youngster some folks would call it Jewish bacon, but all I know is that it is delicious.

I am interested to see how this turns out!

Got them rubbed down with seasoning.
They weighed 3 pounds 8 3#9 and 3# 11. Just for random info.
IMG_6662.jpeg
IMG_6663.jpeg
IMG_6664.jpeg

Then wrapped in plastic to set up overnight.
IMG_6665.jpeg

I used Malcom Reeds pastrami rub recipe as follows for those that haven’t seen it. It’s easy and I had the ingredients already.
2 Tablespoons Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
½ teaspoon Granulated Garlic
½ teaspoon Onion Powder
½ teaspoon Spanish Paprika
½ teaspoon Ground Coriander
Fire up little Jake tomorrow morning.

Got them rubbed down with seasoning.
They weighed 3 pounds 8 3#9 and 3# 11. Just for random info.
View attachment 684542View attachment 684543View attachment 684544

Then wrapped in plastic to set up overnight.
View attachment 684545

I used Malcom Reeds pastrami rub recipe as follows for those that haven’t seen it. It’s easy and I had the ingredients already.
2 Tablespoons Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
½ teaspoon Granulated Garlic
½ teaspoon Onion Powder
½ teaspoon Spanish Paprika
½ teaspoon Ground Coriander
Fire up little Jake tomorrow morning.
Should be delicious

Reactions: flatbroke
Had some cream cheese crying out of the fridge. Made the top one with everything bagel for a neighbor. The bottom has honey hog on it. One not shown has honey hog hot for a neighbor.
IMG_6692.jpeg
IMG_6693.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky