Chili with a hint of smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captainbuttfloss

Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Melbourne, FL
OwWMIic.jpg

Ever since I first got my smoker (had it for a few months now) I've wanted to make my usual chili but with a hint of smoke. I didn't want the smoke flavor to be overpowering so the idea I kept tossing around was just smoke the veggies and ground beef. After finding Rings Я Us's thread on doing this very idea I had to try it!

Veggies/hamburger prepped and all ready to smoke. Decided to smoke everything at 250 for 2 hours:

lhTyWAS.jpg

rOqrdh0.jpg

All loaded in the smoker and ready to go!

BiIjITg.jpg

Finally the 2 hour wait was over. Still had to finish the hamburger off in the cooking pot but all the veggies came out nice!

cjArZxQ.jpg

WYArII1.jpg

nRkA9S3.jpg

st9i16B.jpg

After browning the hamburger completely in the pot it was time to chop up the veggies and add in the beans. Yes, I do beans :)

eknoD5e.jpg

Time to cook low and slow for a few more hours:

2C4T3eB.jpg

Finally it was time to dig in. Not gonna lie, the smoke taste wasn't very powerful once everything cooked down and mixed all together but really that's what I was going for. Wife really liked it too so I think this twist on my chili is a keeper!

NaK7eCe.jpg

Your chili looks delicious , I agree too much of a smokey flavor can be a turn off. We like chunks of meat in our chili. So I usually use a chuck roast that's been smoked.

Point for sure.

chris

Reactions: captainbuttfloss
Fantastic looking chili!
It's getting too hot down here now for chili, but the first cold snap in the fall that's the first thing we make!
Very nice job & congrats for getting a spin on the carousel!
Al

Fantastic looking chili!
It's getting too hot down here now for chili, but the first cold snap in the fall that's the first thing we make!
Very nice job & congrats for getting a spin on the carousel!
Al

Too hot you say Al? Southern Michigan had anywhere between 1-5” of snow yesterday. Thanks for rubbing it in! Lol!

Chili looks great! This Michigan weather stretches our chili season anywhere between September and May depending on the year.... not sure that’s a good thing.

Scott

Great idea and good looking chili. . . . . One of my all time favorites!

Interesting Username you have there!

John

Lol, yea I posted the story behind it HERE in my very first post in Roll Call :) Thanks everybody for the comments and the carousel add, must be doin something right to keep gettin on there! I do have to emphasize for anyone thinking about trying this is that it only adds a small amount of smoke flavor to the chili, but to me it's perfect. I didn't want smoke to overpower the natural chili taste.

Looks Good, Captain!!
However I'd be careful how long it takes the IT of Ground Meat to get from 40° to 140°.
Should be no longer than 4 hours.
2 hours smoking---then Browning---then Low & Slow in the Pot, plus time between steps?

Just a caution.

Bear

Looks Good, Captain!!
However I'd be careful how long it takes the IT of Ground Meat to get from 40° to 140°.
Should be no longer than 4 hours.
2 hours smoking---then Browning---then Low & Slow in the Pot, plus time between steps?

Just a caution.

Bear

he should have been fine if he browned the burger immediately after taking it off the smoke I would think. if he browned it in a pan that should have got it up over 165 pretty quickly, but yes food safety was the first thing I thought of when I saw those chubs of burger going into the smoker. especially if its store bought burger, you have to think the worst like it was originally roasts or steaks that timed out on the meat counter and then was ground which introduces all sorts of nasties into the ground product from the surfaces of the old roasts. I am usually the last guy to get all "food safe" on people as you really have to push the limits or completely not know what you are doing to create a food apocalypse, but they do happen.

as far as being to cold for Chilli... anybody want to come hang out in SD for the next 36 hours? I believe the national weather service used the word "historical" in their description of the incoming winter weather event.... why do i always find myself on the wrong side of historical events? :mad:

Oh well, happy weekend all!

he should have been fine if he browned the burger immediately after taking it off the smoke I would think. if he browned it in a pan that should have got it up over 165 pretty quickly, but yes food safety was the first thing I thought of when I saw those chubs of burger going into the smoker. especially if its store bought burger, you have to think the worst like it was originally roasts or steaks that timed out on the meat counter and then was ground which introduces all sorts of nasties into the ground product from the surfaces of the old roasts. I am usually the last guy to get all "food safe" on people as you really have to push the limits or completely not know what you are doing to create a food apocalypse, but they do happen.

as far as being to cold for Chilli... anybody want to come hang out in SD for the next 36 hours? I believe the national weather service used the word "historical" in their description of the incoming winter weather event.... why do i always find myself on the wrong side of historical events? :mad:

Oh well, happy weekend all!

It did go straight into the pot from the smoker. Thanks for all the input also bearcarver and jimmyinsd!

Reactions: jimmyinsd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky