Chicken leg quarters on a MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scsmoker843

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
I going to put some leg quarters in the smoker tmrw for dinner around 1-2pm. What's everyone's ideas for a success I want to use a vinger base bar b que sauce not mustard base. Should I toss them in sauce then put them in MES? What's everyone's ingredient ideas?? Thanks a bunch guys

Reactions: JLeonard
Inject with salted butter (in which you sautéed a little herbs d Provence, (Straining it of course after).
Cook the chicken with moderate smoke at around 220 until the IT is 130-140, and then pull it and stick it in a 450 degree oven until it hits 180-190 and the skin gets crispy.
If you want to play with sauce, do so in the last little while of the high heat part of the cook.
You can make bite-trough skin in a single element MES by removing it and scraping off the fat on the back, but it will never get crispy without a bunch more heat

Reactions: mr mac
Jonok pretty much has you covered. We don't sauce much of anything but awhile back did sauce some leg quarters on the kettle with whatever bbq sauce we had on hand. But did at the end of cook for last 15 to 20 minutes or so... dang was it good! But you will have to finish in oven or something as mes will not get hot enough.

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
I usually sauce at the end of the cook. You might want to think about smoking them for 45-60 minutes then throw them in a 400 degree oven or hot grill to crisp up the skin then add your sauce. Just my thought.

I usually sauce at the end of the cook. You might want to think about smoking them for 45-60 minutes then throw them in a 400 degree oven or hot grill to crisp up the skin then add your sauce. Just my thought.
Only a hour in smoker? Then how long in oven then

Inject with salted butter (in which you sautéed a little herbs d Provence, (Straining it of course after).
Cook the chicken with moderate smoke at around 220 until the IT is 130-140, and then pull it and stick it in a 450 degree oven until it hits 180-190 and the skin gets crispy.
If you want to play with sauce, do so in the last little while of the high heat part of the cook.
You can make bite-trough skin in a single element MES by removing it and scraping off the fat on the back, but it will never get crispy without a bunch more heat
You ever to a brine soak? If so what's a good brine mixture

Reactions: DRKsmoking
You ever to a brine soak? If so what's a good brine mixture
Sure can, but in my opinion it gets a little “hammy”. Chicken, with intact skin, having been injected is essentially perfect when the meat is done. I would be happy to go go on and on about technique (truely my crappy old LPG gas grill with a good rotisserie was probably the best appurtenance, ) but you just need to cook it until the thighs are 190 -200 and bask in your awesomeness

Sure can, but in my opinion it gets a little “hammy”. Chicken, with intact skin, having been injected is essentially perfect when the meat is done. I would be happy to go go on and on about technique (truely my crappy old LPG gas grill with a good rotisserie was probably the best appurtenance, ) but you just need to cook it until the thighs are 190 -200 and bask in your awesomeness
They turned out well,with great flavor and was juicy too. They were in smoker about 2-2,5 hrs on 250. That was about 165 temp. Took out put in oven on 450 prob 20-25 min. Brushed sauce on about 15 min in,they were around 200 temp when I removed them. Next maybe a rack of ribs. What's the best ones to get?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky