Charcuterie Board Fun!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The only thing kinda stopping me from trying the sausages is the space to hang and ferment them. I guess I could use my bedroom closet but I have like no other space or way to do it lol. I really want to though.
Don't have to hang.....
Wrap in cling film wrap and set them on the kitchen counter at room temp. 65-75*F to ferment.

Man that looks great Carlo!
Thanks, it was fantastic!

WOW!! I've seen some impressive looking Charcuterie boards before but that one is right up there at the top with the best of the best. One incredible looking spread. Heck, you wouldn't even need to cook a "main course" with a spread like that :emoji_wink: Great food and visual perfection. Very nice.

Robert
Thanks! It was our entire dinner and was plenty. She did the amazing job of arranging it all. I'm so straight up functional that I would have never made anything as attractive looking.
We just combined strengths and as a team, this is what we did :D

Don't have to hang.....
Wrap in cling film wrap and set them on the kitchen counter at room temp. 65-75*F to ferment.
Oh wow! That would be sooooooo much easier.
Would I need to completely wrap the sausages or is the cling wrap just to keep things clean and from leaking out?

My basement stays 65 degrees year round . If you're on a slab just hang the in a closet . The hard part is the fridge space . I had a great setup until the fridge I held the umai and curing meat in died .
Made this rack for fermenting and then going straight to the fridge .
20180823_125426.jpg
I just carry the whole thing downstairs to ferment , and when that was done I take it to the fridge . dedicated fridge was perfect for this , until it died .
20180826_163214.jpg
I like 40 % on the Umai sausage .
20180909_081716.jpg
You can ferment at room temps between 65 and 75 degrees if using the T- SPX starter .
Match the working temp of the starter to the room temp . Use distilled water if you don't already do so .
If you're going to lay it flat to ferment . I would just leave it unwrapped in the Umai bag .
Put on a rack on a sheet pan , so you get air flow around it .

Attachments

• 40%.jpg
    40%.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 7
My basement stays 65 degrees year round . If you're on a slab just hang the in a closet . The hard part is the fridge space . I had a great setup until the fridge I held the umai and curing meat in died .
Made this rack for fermenting and then going straight to the fridge .
View attachment 678209
I just carry the whole thing downstairs to ferment , and when that was done I take it to the fridge . dedicated fridge was perfect for this , until it died .
View attachment 678210
I like 40 % on the Umai sausage .
View attachment 678212
You can ferment at room temps between 65 and 75 degrees if using the T- SPX starter .
Match the working temp of the starter to the room temp . Use distilled water if you don't already do so .
If you're going to lay it flat to ferment . I would just leave it unwrapped in the Umai bag .
Put on a rack on a sheet pan , so you get air flow around it .
Thanks for the input!

I have the dedicated fridge in the garage so that hard part is done.
I keep the house between 70-75F temp BUT in our TX summers I worry about some rooms or various times where the temps may get out of fermentation range.

I may give this a shot soon with the info you and indaswamp indaswamp have provided. I have the Umai bags. My only time based issue now is that this project will have to wait until after my end of Oct meat hunt.

I need everything freed up for that adventure, but this year I may just take a slightly different processing approach due to not taking off for work.
I'm probably going to separate backstraps, tenderloins, and shank meat while breaking down the animals to fit in the coolers.
Then take all the other on-bone meat to a processor and let them just grind it all for me.

Cost for this kind of work is usually like $75 per animal and I just can't give up thousands of work dollars this year to take off 2 weeks to both hunt and process. It's waaaay more economical to just let them debone & grind it all and then I'll turn it into sausage and other goodies at later dates :D

Oh wow! That would be sooooooo much easier.
Would I need to completely wrap the sausages or is the cling wrap just to keep things clean and from leaking out?
Just need to close off the salami to keep the humidity high. Can just wrap them, or put on a pan raised on a grate and wrap the pan....or heck, you can just put them in the oven and mist the oven with a sprayer before you close oven door.

Just need to close off the salami to keep the humidity high. Can just wrap them, or put on a pan raised on a grate and wrap the pan....or heck, you can just put them in the oven and mist the oven with a sprayer before you close oven door.
Ah ok, makes total sense now. I can easily do any of that. Thanks! :D

Biggest thing is to follow the Umai directions for the sausage . You shouldn't have any concerns with case hardening / low humidity during the short ferment time doing Umai .
Yeah so far the Umai stuff I did was spot on, except maybe the extra salty seasoning recipe. That's easy to fix by lowering just a hair but still stying within safe parameters.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky