Can Spare Ribs stall at 140-145?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Just curious as to whether pork spare ribs can stall around 140- to 145-degrees? Had some on the smoker today that barely moved once they hit that range.

Just curious as to whether pork spare ribs can stall around 140- to 145-degrees? Had some on the smoker today that barely moved once they hit that range.
Yes they can. I don't usually temp monitor ribs, but I have noticed they can get stubborn if your pit temp runs on the lower side.
My thoughts is that's why the wrap method evolved. Trap the moisture and boil in the foil.

Reactions: mr mac and JLinza
Ribs can stall, however, given the thickness of the meat, it usually is short lived. I too do it by pullback on the bone and rough timing. When I think they're ready, I try lifting to see if the bend/crack and call it good.

In the spirit of true transparency, I'll also cut and end an take the chefs cut to verify...like everyone else! 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky