Buttermilk Brisket Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did it for tenderness NOT for flavor. The enzymes in the buttermilk help break it down to make it tender. I did not notice any buttermilk flavor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Buttermilk is pretty expensive to use as a brine and "throw away" after no??? I love the picture of it hanging over your sink faucet.  My wife would flip. HAHA.  On the ribs, why were they amazing? Did the buttermilk help the flavor or jus the tenderness? ( I think you only replied on brisket for that question.  

Well IMO that is probably one of the best uses of buttermilk...... I can down just about anything but that I have a hard time with...lol

The ribs were really tender and did not notice any buttermilk flavor..... As for buttermilk being $$$, a local store sells it for $2ish for a 1/2 gal. I bought around 3 1/2 gals to do both the ribs and brisket..... I have done worst in my kitchen that my wife has saw. Cleaned snapper, redfish, snipe, cut deer meat. Just about anything lol....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Definitely going to try the buttermilk on the brisket.

You can make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of vinegar/1cup of milk, by the way.

I haven't bought buttermilk in years.

Ok I've buttermilk with brisket and pork shoulder or butt. It works wonders. I take it a step farther and my blend of spices and liquids apple juice &/or chicken stock with the buttermilk. Tenderize and getting flavor into the meat. For competitions, I add kosher salt and inject the meat before brining. To speed up the process.

Sorry if this has been answered, you just sat the brisket in plain buttermilk....for how long?

And theres is not "buttermilk" flavor, but it just tenderized the brisket slightly or drastically?

I've never done just buttermilk in bbq. That don't mean it can't be done. I've added spices I like, with apple juice and or cider. I've let soak 1 day and I've let soak 5 days. The 5 days only because I was so busy from during the week after I started soaking the brisket. However with the other stuff I had in with the buttermilk. It was like magic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky