Butterball Turkey Roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skinnerc06

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My aunt wants me to smoke her a " butterball turkey roast." Ive never done one of these. Its 3 pounds and I'm not at all sure what it will look like inside the yellow rapper. Should i still brine it for a few hours? Anyone ever done one of these bad boys?

Skinner , I've never done one of those , butt I know Bball turkey is injected already with vegetable oil , so I don't think IMHO that brining is needed or going to make much of a diff .

Not sure if this is the case here but I'm not fond of the "turkey roast" i've tried. It appears as if it's a boneless breast but it's more along the lines of a hodgepodge of compressed dark meat. I'd go the boneless breast route. The "roast" I tried was texturally horrific. Rubbery, greasy and damn near organ-y.

Is this like a football ham or do you know? Except for being turkey if it is you will only need to heat it and I would do so at @ 225-250 coverered in bacon and spritz ocassionally!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW I have done one before. I put a cajun rub on it and smoked it lightly. I ran it through the slicer and it worked for lunch meat.........I tried some thick sliced........and well.......the texture was kind of a turn off, but thinly sliced/shaved was good.......but not great. My mother in law wanted it......so what the heck.....not something I would just do for my own enjoyment.

Thanks all. Like i said its not for me, a relative of mine had it in her fridge and wants to do something with it so she asked me to smoke it. I didnt know however the butterballs were injected?! Thats a new one on me. I dont think i'll brine either. Im thinking Salt, cbp, a little onion and garlic powder. Keep it simple and see how it turns out. What temp do you think i should take it off at? Thanks a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky