Brisket rescue!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rendr

Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
First time doing brisket. it's a 16-pound prime packer. I trimmed, rubbed, and sweat it for an hour at 2:30 am and I put it on at 3:30 am. The plan was low and slow at 225 for at least 13-14 hours. I checked it at 6 hours to spray with apple cider vinegar and the fat wasn't rendering much and it wasn't barking up like I wanted so I moved it up to 250. I just checked it at 9 hours and I'm at 212 in the flat and 189 in the point! I've still got 3.5 hours until dinner. What should I do? I've got my GMG down to 215 for now. As far as I can tell, it blew through the stall like the kool-aid man through a brick wall. I've tried 3 different thermometers that I know are right and the meat in the flat feels very tender to the touch and to the probe. Should I keep that point on until 195 then wrap and rest for 2 hours?

Last edited:
I would probe it around and see if its tender all over, if so wrap and rest it. probes should glide right through if done.

Separate the flat from the point, cube the point, toss in BBQ sauce, and put them back on in a foil tray. Wrap the flat in foil and towels until ready to serve.

Reactions: BigW.
Is it seperated now in 2 pieces? I'd pull it if in one piece. Wrap in paper or foil and put in a cooler with towels to keep it warm. If in 2, you can pull the flat, leave the point if you want.

If its in one piece probe the point and see if its tender with no resistance. If so pull it. Hate to see the flat get burnt up on you.

Thanks everyone! It’s been taking a nice rest in foil and towels in our oven that’s off. Let’s hope it turns out alright. When I pulled it it started to break near the deckle under its own weight I’m worried the flat is overdone; not burnt, just overly tender. Too much tissue has broken down I fear. Only time will tell. If it doesn’t turn out well I’ll know to watch it sooner/closer for the next cook.

When I pulled it it started to break near the deckle under its own weight I’m worried the flat is overdone; not burnt, just overly tender.

by overly tender, do you mean dry and crumbly?

by overly tender, do you mean dry and crumbly?
So it ended up being much like pulled pork. The flat was no longer sliceable, so we shredded it. It went great with the homemade rolls and light sauce. The meat was very moist and juicy, I'd assume for the 2.5 hour rest it had. The point sliced alright, not great. I could tell that I had left about 1/4 of an inch too much fat cap on and you could really tell once I sliced into the point.

All-in-all it had a delicious beef flavor, was nice and moist and fed plenty of people. It just didn't have that nice sliced texture that I wanted it to have, you know, the way it was meant to have. Ultimately a failure in that regard but I was lucky that the very first brisket I made was more than edible.

I've always been a huge advocate of the "It's done when it's done" cadre and normally that's the answer I give to impatient bystanders, but I learned an important lesson that it also can mean it is done much sooner than logic or my experience would suggest. The meat is done when the meat says it is done and don't doubt it!

I'm sure my next one will turn out even better. I'll start monitoring temperature much sooner in the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky