Brisket Pie à la mode!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Brisket Pie à la mode

full.jpg

Alright! This was a goal of mine recently. There was a pic going around of "brisket pie" on the internet before, and again recently. This last time I decided... I want that! There was a little bit of trial and error and I have notes to do for next time, but wanted to share with y'all what I did this time!

I went all in on this one. Scratch made Pie Dough Crust for the bottom. Scratch made Croissant Dough for the top. Slow smoked Brisket of course. I went from the hip for the filling and got a pretty good handle on it after a first attempt for this one. I took fairly good notes and came up with a repeatable recipe too! There are a couple tweaks for next time but it is close enough to share my findings. Obviously store bought Crusts can be had and will be much easier. I just had a crazy urge to do it all. I also forgot how much time croissant dough takes haha.

Fairly certain that this will be at least a 2 post thing since I capped out my last thread and this has more. :emoji_sweat_smile:

OK. Enough rambling. Onward.

Pie Dough Bottom:
  • 10 ounces All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
  • 2 Sitcks (225g) Unsalted Butter (Frozen)
  • Ice Water (12 tbsp for me)
Place Flour and Salt in bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. For the butter, use a grating attachment or box grater and “shred” the butter into the flour. Toss to coat thoroughly. Start adding the ice water a Tbsp at a time until the dough just comes together. This took about 12 Tbsp for me. Work the dough into a ball/puck/shape. Wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge. The flour will continue to hydrate so it may look too dry now. It’ll come together. I rested mine overnight.

Croissant Top:
  • 130g warm water (~100*F)
  • 6g Active Dry Yeast
  • 30g Granulated Sugar
  • 5g Salt
  • 250g Bread Flour
  • 25g Unsalted Butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 150g unsalted Butter for Butter Block
Place the active dry yeast in the warm water to bloom. After about ten minutes, add the sugar and stir. Sift the Dry ingredients into a stand mixer bowl. Add the Water/Yeast/Sugar mix and start mixing. Add the egg yolk. Add the 25g of butter in three small additions until incorporated. Mix for a few minutes until a dough ball forms. Wrap in plastic and place in fridge.

For the Butter Block; take cold butter and using wax paper or cling wrap and make an 8”x8” square of butter. Place in fried to keep cold.

After resting the croissant dough roll it out into a long rectangle about twice the length of the butter block and an inch or so wider. Lay the butter block down and fold the dough over to encase the butter. Press and roll the dough out to a rectangle again and fold in thirds. Wrap in plastic and return to fridge. It is important to keep this cold. After about an hour, roll the dough out into a rectangle again and fold into thirds. Repeat three times.

Pie Filling:
  • Chopped Smoke Brisket (around 4 cups)
  • Medium Sweet Onion Diced
  • 1 cup Bell Pepper Diced
  • 1 Cup Carrots Diced
  • 3 Sticks Celery sliced
  • ½ to 1 cup of frozen peas (preference)
  • 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
  • 3 Tbsp Flour
  • 2 Cups Beef Stock
  • 4 Tbsp BBQ Sauce
  • 2-4 Tbsp BBQ Rub
Melt the Butter in a heavy bottom stock pot. Add the Onion, Carrots, Celery, Bell Pepper and a pinch of salt. Sautee veggies until just starting to soften. Add Flour, BBQ Rub, and mix. Stir and cook off flour for a couple minutes. Add the Beef Stock, BBQ Sauce, and stir together. Bring to a gentle simmer and heat for about 10 minutes until the “gravy” is thickened. Add Brisket and fold in to combine. Mix peas in last to avoid softening them too much.

Assembly:

Roll out half of the pie dough on a well-floured surface until a couple inches larger than pie dish. Roll up dough on rolling pin and transfer to pie dish. Lift and rest the dough into the dish corners/edges. Return to fridge for 30 minutes. Blind bake the crust with pie weights of choice for 12-15 minutes at 400*F. Remove the weights and Dock the bottom of the crust and return to oven for additional 7-10 minutes until lightly brown. Trim Excess pie crust leaving a small lip. Fill Pie with filling and press to fill.

Roll out half the Croissant dough until just larger than pie pan and place on top. Tuck the edges of the Croissant dough under the lip of the Pie Crust to seal. Brush the top with egg white wash and bake for 25 minutes at 400*F or until croissant dough is flaky and brown.

Allow pie to cool before slicing to serve. The hotter it is the looser it will be. Serve with sides of choice.

Mac and Cheese:
  • 12 oz Elbow Macaroni Noodles
  • 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
  • 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
  • 8 oz Velveeta Cubed
  • 8 oz Shredded Cheese of Choice (Tilamook for us)
  • 2 ¾ Cup Milk (adjust for thickness)
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Dash of Ground Mustard
  • Sprinkle of Paprika
  • A few twists of freshly cracked black pepper
  • Smidge of Garlic Powder
  • Dusting of Onion Powder
  • Lots-o-Bacon bits/pieces/chopped
Boil Noodles until al dente, drain and set aside. Melt the butter and then add the flour. Stir and mix for a couple minutes to take the raw edge off the flour. Add the seasonings to taste. Add the milk and turn heat up. Stir all together. This is the stage where you can determine your consistency. We like it a little looser, not runny, but not thick. I never got to a simmer. Once it started to thicken a little, 3-5 mins maybe, add the Velveeta and stir until melted in. Add the 8 oz of shredded cheese and mix in. Add desired amount of Bacon pieces here. Add the drained noodles and mix to combine. We normally toast some panko in butter to top it but for this meal I wanted just regular looking mac. Serve and enjoy!

OK... OK... Pictures!

Pie Dough Crust

full.jpg

Blind Bake the Pie Dough. I used Oatmeal for weights because that's what I had...

full.jpg

Docked and blind bake complete!

full.jpg

Croissant Dough Ball

full.jpg

Butter Block Formation

full.jpg

Nice Square of Butter

full.jpg

Encasing the Butter Block

full.jpg

full.jpg

Lots of folding, rolling, chilling, and repeat cycles later... (this got folded in half again before rolling)

full.jpg

Continued in Post 2...

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 10
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 10
...Continued

Chopped Brisket!

full.jpg

Veggies: Onion, Carrots, Celery, Red and Orange Bell Peppers (frozen peas later)

full.jpg

Sauté Veggies and add flour. I also added some BBQ rub here.

full.jpg

Add Beef Broth and BBQ sauce if desired

full.jpg

Heat to thicken. I went til there was a good clean streak in the pan

full.jpg

Add Brisket and Frozen peas. Fold together. Get on in there Bearcarver Bearcarver !

full.jpg

Fill Trimmed Pie Crust

full.jpg

Top with Croissant dough and tuck under Pie crust. Brush with Egg white wash and sprinkle with salt.

full.jpg

Bake at 400°F until top is golden and flaky. About 25 mins for me.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Let cool for a bit and slice away! This all depends on thickness of the gravy and if you are trying to take photos haha. I let it cool completely to make sure the shape held...

full.jpg

Bacon Mac with Velveeta and Tilamook! (this is a double batch and about the consistency we like)

full.jpg

Final Thoughts... I was super happy with this. A lot of effort if you make the crusts yourself but store bought would speed this up exponentially! I think this would be a good candidate for making some smaller pies and freezing in advance for later consumption. The flavors were so good and worked so well together. The flaky top crust with of course a nice butter profile. The Brisket retained it's delicious flavors and smoke. The Gravy was just thick enough to coat and hold together. The veggies mixed in nicely. The bottom crust held up too which was my goal. I could've gone a touch thicker but it wasn't that soggy.

The first one I did had chunkier brisket and I prefer that over this. The texture got a little monotone with the fine chop. I'll add jalapenos next time too! But other than that, I'm super happy with how it tuned out! I think I did OK for just looking a picture and running with it from there. In all reality this is basically a Brisket Pot Pie with a bottom crust. Or at least that's the direction I took it. I will be making this again and continuing to tweak it. This is, in my opinion, a great "base recipe" or style to play with.

Any and all thoughts, ideas, tweaks, or feedback always appreciated! I am not a baker nor a chef so I know there are improvements to be made! different dough possibly?

Thanks for putting up with my long posts but I do try and make them Pic HEAVY to make up for it. Sorry for the server storage bill TulsaJeff TulsaJeff ! :emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile:

Cheers Y'all!

I'd be in for a slice of that pie, and I think a ride is definitely in your near future.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
WOW lotta hard work there, now I]m looking for a brisket , looks great, I can see my wife loving this for sure

A lot of work but result looks well worth the trouble. The picture of the finished plate is Magazine Quality. 12oz Pasta and 2 Cups Milk? I boil 2 pounds Pasta and add a pound of Cheese, to a 6 Cup Bechamel for Mac 'n Cheese. Very popular with my crew. Good Cold too. They would Love the Pie with it...JJ

...Continued

Chopped Brisket!

View attachment 443078

Veggies: Onion, Carrots, Celery, Red and Orange Bell Peppers (frozen peas later)

View attachment 443079

Sauté Veggies and add flour. I also added some BBQ rub here.

View attachment 443080

Add Beef Broth and BBQ sauce if desired

View attachment 443081

Heat to thicken. I went til there was a good clean streak in the pan

View attachment 443082

Add Brisket and Frozen peas. Fold together. Get on in there Bearcarver Bearcarver !

View attachment 443083

Fill Trimmed Pie Crust

View attachment 443084

Top with Croissant dough and tuck under Pie crust. Brush with Egg white wash and sprinkle with salt.

View attachment 443085

Bake at 400°F until top is golden and flaky. About 25 mins for me.

View attachment 443086

View attachment 443087

Let cool for a bit and slice away! This all depends on thickness of the gravy and if you are trying to take photos haha. I let it cool completely to make sure the shape held...

View attachment 443088

Bacon Mac with Velveeta and Tilamook! (this is a double batch and about the consistency we like)

View attachment 443089

Final Thoughts... I was super happy with this. A lot of effort if you make the crusts yourself but store bought would speed this up exponentially! I think this would be a good candidate for making some smaller pies and freezing in advance for later consumption. The flavors were so good and worked so well together. The flaky top crust with of course a nice butter profile. The Brisket retained it's delicious flavors and smoke. The Gravy was just thick enough to coat and hold together. The veggies mixed in nicely. The bottom crust held up too which was my goal. I could've gone a touch thicker but it wasn't that soggy.

The first one I did had chunkier brisket and I prefer that over this. The texture got a little monotone with the fine chop. I'll add jalapenos next time too! But other than that, I'm super happy with how it tuned out! I think I did OK for just looking a picture and running with it from there. In all reality this is basically a Brisket Pot Pie with a bottom crust. Or at least that's the direction I took it. I will be making this again and continuing to tweak it. This is, in my opinion, a great "base recipe" or style to play with.

Any and all thoughts, ideas, tweaks, or feedback always appreciated! I am not a baker nor a chef so I know there are improvements to be made! different dough possibly?

Thanks for putting up with my long posts but I do try and make them Pic HEAVY to make up for it. Sorry for the server storage bill TulsaJeff TulsaJeff ! :emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile:

Cheers Y'all!
NOW THAT'S SOME FINE LOOKING CHOW!!!
I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks much for sharing!!

Wow does that look terriffic! That is impressive! Like
I'm thinking that you could be going for a ride.....

Thank you! Was a lot of fun.

Dang that looks delicious. Nice work

Thanks!

No doubt about that .

Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan Your showing some serious skills there bud . That looks fantastic , start to finish ,,, right up to the point where I don't get any . LOL .
Awesome job !!

Thank you! I got certified in YouTube food video watching haha.

I'd be in for a slice of that pie, and I think a ride is definitely in your near future.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks! I'm about to go heat up one right now. it's going too quick haha.

Wow---What a Beautiful Pie!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear! Appreciate it.

I'm at a loss for words! Wow!
LIKE!!

Thank you!

Super awesome- looks incredible!

Thank you! I overthought this one from the get go lol.

Words are inadequate. It's a masterpiece!!

It would take me 5 hours to put that pie together.

LIKE!!!

Appreciate it! With all the dough time it took quite awhile. the end was worth it though!

WOW lotta hard work there, now I]m looking for a brisket , looks great, I can see my wife loving this for sure

Thanks! My wife dug in on both attempts and gave great feedback for round 2. it will be back for sure.

I think I'd ask for that if it were my last meal!

Hopefully not soon! :emoji_sweat_smile: But Thank you!

NOW THAT'S SOME FINE LOOKING CHOW!!!
I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks much for sharing!!

Appreciate it! Glad to share.

A lot of work but result looks well worth the trouble. The picture of the finished plate is Magazine Quality. 12oz Pasta and 2 Cups Milk? I boil 2 pounds Pasta and add a pound of Cheese, to a 6 Cup Bechamel for Mac 'n Cheese. Very popular with my crew. Good Cold too. They would Love the Pie with it...JJ
Thank you Chef! Thank you for the tips! This was just close to a base recipe we found that we liked and adapted over time. We use 2 and 3/4 cup milk (not sure if only says 2 up there). Gives a pretty creamy texture in the end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky