Sourdough Irish Soda Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Sourdough Irish Soda Bread
I used whitelilly flour and red fife.
250 g All Purpose Flour (plain or bread flour is fine)
250 g Whole Wheat Flour (used red fife)
15 g Salt
15 g Baking Soda (bicarb soda)
350 g Buttermilk
100 g Sourdough Starter (100% hydration)
Preheat your oven to 428F (220C). Line a baking tray or cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. I used my dutch
Add the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and sourdough starter and stir until it's bubbly and well combined.
Pour the buttermilk and sourdough starter liquid into the dry ingredients and quickly mix to form a sticky dough.
Lightly dust your counter top with flour and tip the dough out. Knead the dough around 8 to 10 times. Less is more with this bread.
Now form the dough into a rough round and place onto the parchment lined baking tray.
Press the dough down to around 1" thick and then slash a cross on the top using a lame.
Bake for 20 minutes at 428F (220C) and then turn the oven down to 392F had to go to 400 (200C) and bake for a further 20 minutes. Had to go 28 mins to get the temp of 206-210
Allow to cool on a rack
It didnt burn, must be my flash. It does have a darker red with the red fife over the ww.

sdir1.jpg

sdir.JPG

sdir2.JPG

sdir3.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky