Brisket getting better but still needs work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpinmi

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
New Baltimore, MI
Smoked a whole brisket over the weekend (18 pound whole brisket). Turned out pretty good. Slices from the flat were a tad dry but not terrible. When doing the bend test on your slices, if the slice breaks in half when bending is that a sign of overcooked?

IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7840.jpg

IMG_7843.jpg

Yeah man, I will echo what the others have said....sure looks good from my POV. I cook a lot of briskets too. that one looks purty. You cooking with Prime? Choice?

Reactions: chopsaw
Agreed, it looks very good. Slices should not break when bending. What is your process for determining when it is done and how are you resting it afterwards?

Looks a tad overdone to me.
How hot did you cook it and for how long?
Did you wrap and if so at what temp, using paper or foil?
If you wrapped in foil, did you include some liquid in the wrap?
Most of mine that have a large flat section have that end overcooked to some degree, it can't be helped other than perhaps putting the thick end of the brisket toward the hottest end of the cooker.
Also, I'm going for the jello bounce test these days to determine when it's done.
Pick up the whole thing and shake it up and down a few strokes, if it reminds you of jello it's done no matter what the internal temp says.

I pulled it at 200. Probe seemed to go in real easy. Next time I'll probe sooner.

Agreed, it looks very good. Slices should not break when bending. What is your process for determining when it is done and how are you resting it afterwards?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky