Breakfast Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I don’t see these posted often. This is my Cumberland breakfast sausage in natural 20mm casings. So delicious.

IMG_1806.jpeg

My wife said these would be great with a pile hash browns and scrambled eggs since they taste a lot like breakfast sausage. I've been meaning to make up some breakfast sausage, but I haven't mustered enough courage to try the smaller sheeps casings yet...

I'll take those first too rows.....Looks good.

Jim
Any time Jim, thanks a bunch.

My wife said these would be great with a pile hash browns and scrambled eggs since they taste a lot like breakfast sausage. I've been meaning to make up some breakfast sausage, but I haven't mustered enough courage to try the smaller sheeps casings yet...
This is a bit sage forward, we enjoy that, but the way the mace plays along with the sage is remarkable, it’s almost a citrus sage note, it’s different but in a good way if you like sage.

Reactions: JLeonard
So Eric, these are fresh and no cure. So can you freeze right away and or just fry right away?

Thanks
David
David, theses are fresh (no cure) you can freeze or fry right away, I like an overnight rest for flavor development of spice then fry and or freeze. If you stuff these then place them on a cookie sheet into the freezer for a couple hours first then vac seal they don’t squish in the vacuum bag and hold their shape.

Thanks, i think this is going to the closer top of the to try list.
and the tray freezing is a smart idea, I use if for a lot of my freezing of fruits and things before bagging.
Especially if I'm going to vac seal

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
How would I know?
By feel. If it’s stiff and sticky after protein extraction mix then add about 60Ml or about a 1/4 of ice water. You may need it and you may not. I stuffed these so I added about 60 Ml of water to loosen the mix for stuffing but if just making patties I would not have as bulk sausage.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
By feel. If it’s stiff and sticky after protein extraction mix then add about 60Ml or about a 1/4 of ice water. You may need it and you may not. I stuffed these so I added about 60 Ml of water to loosen the mix for stuffing but if just making patties I would not have as bulk sausage.
Thanks. I have a brand new stuffer sitting here so that's coming sooner rather than later...😉

Thanks. I have a brand new stuffer sitting here so that's coming sooner rather than later...😉
When stuffing it’s better that the mix is a little wet vs. dry. If too dry, the mince wants to stick inside the casing and not flow, this can cause unnecessary blowouts, to wet can create its own problems later in the smoking/cooking process, but just getting started I’ll say a little wet is better than a little dry. Plus the little bit of added water helps with dissolving the salts and waking up the spices and helps evenly distribute all of it during the mix. It will all make more sense when physically doing it.

Reactions: Fueling Around
1 Kg ground pork 80/20 through 1/4” plate
1.5% salt
2g fresh finely minced sage
1g mace
2g white pepper
1g cracked black pepper
2g red Chile flake
water as needed.
I've been kicking the Cumberland idea around and am gonna do some variation of it this week. I see you don't use any thyme, and I'm ok with that, but I'll be using rubbed sage as fresh is right out this the of the year. That and the chile flakes... this sounds like a winner.

Awesome Eric, nicely done… I could down a few links for sure!

Also thanks for sharing the recipe… looks like a tasty one… going to have to give that a go!

I've been kicking the Cumberland idea around and am gonna do some variation of it this week. I see you don't use any thyme, and I'm ok with that, but I'll be using rubbed sage as fresh is right out this the of the year. That and the chile flakes... this sounds like a winner.
Very simple recipe but delicious, the original recipe calls for bread crumbs, as do most sausages from the area, I’ve made it with but like it better without.

Awesome Eric, nicely done… I could down a few links for sure!

Also thanks for sharing the recipe… looks like a tasty one… going to have to give that a go!
Thanks Justin, we like it. Had basted eggs, hash browns, links and bacon for supper last night.

looks great ill have to try it thanks for posting
Thank you. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky