Behemoth Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
So I've had a hankering for some beef short ribs.
I called around looking for some and no joy at the usual places.
Ran around looking and finally found some at Sam's Club.
Sam's had thin cut Korean style short ribs and I asked the clerk if he had whole uncut racks.
"Sure" he said. "How many you want?".
I took one cryo-vac bag which is two racks, and when he brought it out I about fainted.
Not only was the price per pound much better than the $7.-$8./lb he quoted me, but the racks...
The racks would've made Fred Flintstone smile.

I seriously think these are Plate Short Ribs as they're three bone racks, the bones shape/length, the muscle structure and fat content of the meat.

Holy cow are these things huge and thick, super meaty with multiple layers of fat which I know means they'll be delicious!

The Menu
Behemoth Beef Ribs
Salt Crusted Potatoes
Grilled Veggies

The Ribs
I trimmed the fat cap completely off, gotta let the smoke and seasonings get into the meat.
I rubbed with SPOG and let them brine for a bit while I fired up the smoker.

Some mesquite and hickory and settled in at about 280°-290°, put the ribs on and thought about the rest of dinner.

I was quoted $7.50/lb which is about average... $5.42/lb. Thank You Mr. Meat Man!
Eh7l9ix.jpg

YRq2TBw.jpg

Behemoths
Af2cISs.jpg

Trimmed
bLWlreK.jpg

SPOG for Seasoning
wbrDOI5.jpg

4hrs, Cooking Right Along
PsV3IEd.jpg

L1i03rr.jpg

Finished!
These averaged 285° for 5 hours, and I cranked the heat to 350° the last hour, for a total of six.
These were, 205° and 203° when pulled.
While these were butter tender, juicy brisket on a stick, the larger rack could have taken another hour to render some more fat and still been fantastic.
nanaKu8.jpg

PDHZcUo.jpg

Astgu1O.jpg

B3OFdRt.jpg

BEEF! Brisket on a Stick
PN8wDKk.jpg

TcKQ26F.jpg

ROtPq5A.jpg

Salt Crusted Potatoes
2.5lbs New Potatoes
1/4C Sea salt
Fresh Rosemary

In a large, deep skillet place potatoes in a single layer and just cover with water.
Add the salt and rosemary, bring to a fast boil and continue till all the water is evaporated.
This will leave the potatoes covered in a crust of salt.

hc49DEM.jpg

OJfGOlM.jpg

aJVlfkG.jpg

Grilled Veggies
An assortment of Yellow Squash, Bell peppers and Sweet onions seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt and infused with fresh rosemary.
Grilled till just tender.

YKwUXKV.jpg

DD3wvcL.jpg

The Money and the Mug Shots

x87AyiR.jpg

8zo8hwU.jpg

Yln3dYP.jpg

Last edited:
Wow ! You can DINE-o-saur on those Dino- mite ribs all night. Fred, Barney, Betty and Wilma would feel right at home. They look great.

Chiler....I didn’t here the dinner bell?

That is a perfect plate!!!

Those are insane! and awesome job on what looks like a perfect smoke.
This is the first time I've seen anyone do salt potatoes outside of NY, man I'd love a few of them right now.

Last edited:
Nailed that one man,fantastic looking plate of good eats. POINTS
Richie

Chile I am on my way up there right NOW! Never mind, probably too late, those things would never last an hour at my house. Wow-that whole spread looks good. I was at Sams yesterday and they were poorly stocked. Probably got there too late but I wasn't looking for anything like that. Now I will. I've never heard of Salt Crusted Potatoes before but I really like the idea. Very nice post sir.
Don

Holy hell, those look good! And huge too!! I don’t think I’ve found ribs that big. The ones I see are hardly worth buying.

Awesome looking plate!

How long did they take?

WOW! Awesome cook man ! This is the first thing i saw this morning and ill probably be dreaming about those ribs tonight! Lol! Big like!!!

Chile....that looks absolutely amazing!! Great job and great documentation. Big LIKE!! I'd give my first born daughter and a pint of blood to get hands on a couple packs of those ribs....or maybe just a plate of them that you cooked :emoji_laughing:

Wow...it's all I can say,
Robert

Those aor insane! and awesome job on what looks like a perfect smoke.
This is the first time I've seen anyone do salt potatoes outside of NY, man I'd love a few of them right now.
Really do appreciate it Dan.
I've never seen anyone do them.
I came across a recipe years back and finally thought, "Lets try it."
Good stuff, just gotta tell your diners that it's okay to rub the salt off.

Last edited:
Now that is a plate! I have not been able to find those plate ribs yet. I will be making those potatoes, they look great. Awesome Job Chile!

Last edited:
Those ribs look fantastic . Cooked perfect as always . I do a version of those potatoes , like those too .

Nailed that one man,fantastic looking plate of good eats. POINTS
Richie
Appreciate it very much Richie, thanks.
Chile I am on my way up there right NOW! Never mind, probably too late, those things would never last an hour at my house. Wow-that whole spread looks good. I was at Sams yesterday and they were poorly stocked. Probably got there too late but I wasn't looking for anything like that. Now I will. I've never heard of Salt Crusted Potatoes before but I really like the idea. Very nice post sir.
Don
Thanks Don,
no, not too late.
Heck I couldn't finish the one rib, just too big.
The potatoes rock, I add fresh herbs during the boil for more flavor.

Holy hell, those look good! And huge too!! I don’t think I’ve found ribs that big. The ones I see are hardly worth buying.

Awesome looking plate!

How long did they take?
Thanks man.
LOL... That's what I was thinking when I first saw them.
Thickest meatiest short ribs I've ever found, I really think these are Plates.

These averaged 285° for 5 hours, and I cranked the heat to 350° the last hour, for a total of six.
These were, 205° and 203° when pulled.
While these were butter tender, tender/juicy brisket on a stick, the larger rack could have taken another hour to render some more fat and still been fantastic.
WOW! Awesome cook man ! This is the first thing i saw this morning and ill probably be dreaming about those ribs tonight! Lol! Big like!!!
Hey thanks Sowsage... Those'll be some sweet dreams.
we never see those up here, wow that looks fandamntastic!
Thanks Tony,
I've never seen the likes down here either, wish I'd had more money cause I'd bought a case.
Chile....that looks absolutely amazing!! Great job and great documentation. Big LIKE!! I'd give my first born daughter and a pint of blood to get hands on a couple packs of those ribs....or maybe just a plate of them that you cooked :emoji_laughing:

Wow...it's all I can say,
Robert
Very kind of ya Robert, thank you.
I keep saying "Wow!" every time I see them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky