Beef Short Ribs - Need Input

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I am thinking of doing some beef short ribs on my Weber Spirit gas grill.

They are straight from the processing plant, so no weight listed. They are about 8" long and 1 3/4" thick.

How long should I plan for these to take? I'm planning on running around 275* indirect. Should I wrap in foil at any point?

I'm also planning to have some chicken on the grill too. It's my first time with the beef short ribs and looking to run the grill with crappy weather. Appreciate the input!

I just replied to your chicken question LOL!
Sounds like you're doing a full "plate" of beef ribs. That's going to take a lot longer to do it right. I would foil it after a couple of hours like you would pork ribs....

Should I be thinking 5-6 hours? I would not call these "Dino" size.

Also...I'm thinking I'll just fire up the smoker now.

I think wrapping or not depends on how much bark you like on the outside. We like bark on ribs, so I don't wrap ribs but I do wrap big cuts like butts and chuckies. At 275 I would think 5 hours is a good estimate. I'd cook to around 195* rather than cooking to time. Wrap in foil and rest for an hour or so. And take pics!

Short ribs just went on the smoker. Rookie mistake - I should have opened the pack (wrapped in butcher paper) before. I was not expecting two thick chunks. Here are the two strips before going on.

Used Killer Hogs AP.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG
Turned out pretty good - not as tender as I hoped. They were on for about 5 hours total, with about 2 being covered in foil. The smoker was running about 265* - 290*. I was struggling to keep the temp steady in my Masterbuilt gas smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky