Beef chuck ribs and keto sides

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It’s been awhile since I’ve had the motivation to smoke. Life’s been challenging for sure and continues to be. Dragged my butt out today and fired up the Lang. I’ve had quite a few cryopacks of chuck ribs in the freezer for going on two years. Thawed out four plates of them. Hit them with some Smokin it Rub (hickory salt and MSG mostly), coarse pepper and fine instant espresso. Smoked with cherry for about 7 hours to 200F or so. They proved like butter. Into the cambro for awhile while I cleaned up. Did a nice Smokey au jus of just minors beef stock and savory herbs. I also smoked up a half batch of my keto cowboy beans and made some steakhouse style loaded cauliflower salad. Lots of red onion , bacon and cheddar in it with a sour cream and Mayo green onion dressing. I’ll post the recipe for it later. Here’s a few pics. Bark is dark but not burnt , the espresso makes a very dark tasty bark.
E51271AC-61D2-4DC8-9732-1B68A7924EE5.jpeg
DFD7B6DD-0248-48CC-BD39-AFA52BE57386.jpeg
B62C7A9E-0CA1-4591-AB5D-A01B01B2F8F6.jpeg
F8044635-DB81-45A7-B845-D22F3D544247.jpeg
C89FE5B7-F565-4717-A1EC-FC152D848166.jpeg
Felt good to do a little cooking , but especially firing up the Lang. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
It’s been awhile since I’ve had the motivation to smoke. Life’s been challenging for sure and continues to be. Dragged my butt out today and fired up the Lang. I’ve had quite a few cryopacks of chuck ribs in the freezer for going on two years. Thawed out four plates of them. Hit them with some Smokin it Rub (hickory salt and MSG mostly), coarse pepper and fine instant espresso. Smoked with cherry for about 7 hours to 200F or so. They proved like butter. Into the cambro for awhile while I cleaned up. Did a nice Smokey au jus of just minors beef stock and savory herbs. I also smoked up a half batch of my keto cowboy beans and made some steakhouse style loaded cauliflower salad. Lots of red onion , bacon and cheddar in it with a sour cream and Mayo green onion dressing. I’ll post the recipe for it later. Here’s a few pics. Bark is dark but not burnt , the espresso makes a very dark tasty bark. View attachment 662949View attachment 662950View attachment 662951View attachment 662952View attachment 662953Felt good to do a little cooking , but specially firing up the Lang. Thanks for looking.

If this doesn't make the carousal then whatever formula they use to put stuff there is broken. Fabulous thanks for sharing. As a side note.. bean recipe?

all I have to say.jpg

It’s been awhile since I’ve had the motivation to smoke. Life’s been challenging for sure and continues to be. Dragged my butt out today and fired up the Lang. Felt good to do a little cooking , but especially firing up the Lang.
Great job. I don’t know what’s troubling you but you for the rhythms. nice job. These words Johnny said came to mind reading the thread

“Get rhythm when you get the blues
Come on, get rhythm when you get the blues
A jumpy rhythm makes you feel so fine
It’ll shake all your trouble from your worried mind
Get rhythm when you get the blues
Hey, get rhythm when you get the blues
Get a rock and’ roll feeling in your bones
Put taps on your toes and get gone
Get rhythm when you get the blues”

Jeff , those are perfect . That Lang will set ya right . Always great stuff from you bud .
I'm going through the freezer too . Just finished up 2019 . Gonna spin the last of 2020 today , then I can start on 2021 !

That picture of the sliced ribs is spectacular. Couldn't look any better. Nice and juicy.
Yea, man.

Just fantastic Jeff. Great looking sliced shot. And a big mess of beans for me also.
Nice meal

David

Wow! Them ribs look good! So does the sides!

LIKE!

Great job. I don’t know what’s troubling you but you for the rhythms. nice job. These words Johnny said came to mind reading the thread

“Get rhythm when you get the blues
A jumpy rhythm makes you feel so fine
It’ll shake all your trouble from your worried mind
Get rhythm when you get the blues
Hey, get rhythm when you get the blues
Get a rock and’ roll feeling in your bones
Put taps on your toes and get gone
Get rhythm when you get the blues”

Jeff , those are perfect . That Lang will set ya right . Always great stuff from you bud .
I'm going through the freezer too . Just finished up 2019 . Gonna spin the last of 2020 today , then I can start on 2021 !
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words. Rich I’ve started doing that as well. Not quite as organized but just grabbing things I know are older. I have 2 and a half freezers of meat lol. When stuffs on sale I buy up. Just need to do better of thawing and using lol.

Oh Jeff, what an awesome cook! I have done the beans, now you need to educate me on the steakhouse style loaded cauliflower salad???
Passed out a few of the beans last night. Man people just go bonkers for them. So the salad is my answer to steakhouse style loaded potato salad. Generally 2 large cauliflower ( I cheated and used 2 20oz pre cut bags) steam until very tender, into a big mixing bowl. I hit them with a potato masher just to break up into smaller pieces. Let them cool while you work on the rest. Sauce is 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 1 cup Dukes Mayo, 1T lemon juice, 1T minced garlic (from a jar) and lastly 1 packet of store bought green onion dip mix. Mix that, 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar, roughly 1 1/2 -2 cups bacon pieces (pre packaged best) 1 chopped red onion. Mix well and chill overnight. Garnish with chives. You can sub out a pack of ranch dressing for the green onion dip. I’ve also done it with my own spices but the packets are tasty and easy. I do the cauliflower in the microwave. This amount split into two bowls each with about 2/3 cup of water. Nuke on high for about 20 minutes. This side is all about fast and easy to go with tending the Lang and other more tedious dishes. If you try it let me know your thoughts please.

Everything looks fabulous! Those ribs in particular, though, had my mouth watering! Even at 8:30 in the morning. Thanks for sharing. What a way to start the day.

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff, those ribs look fantastic. Then when I saw the photo of them sliced I started salivating. They look so moist. The sides look good too.

Rob

Great cook !

The beans are very interesting. I really miss beans on this low carb diet. Where do you source the black soybean ?
I prefer using the canned from Eden. Usually get via Vitacost or Swansons whichever has rhee we better deal. I use them for charro beans as well so usually get a case when I can. You can also buy dry beans on Amazon. A few of the folks here use those. Just need to work with them more to soften before cooking. I’m usually loving the lazy can dumping version but have done both.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky