Anyone use a "Radical" secret ingredient?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Its Maple Syrup.

I cut down on the sugar in my rub, use 100% pure maple syrup , and wet them down with this mixture the night before. Ive tried to do it just a couple hrs ahead, but it does not soak into the meat fast enough to do that. Done right, with the bite that my rub has mixed with the sweet maple, this just makes an awsome bark.  The flap meat really soaks it in and those turn out like a piece of sweet smoked candy.  You dont have to soak them in it either, just fill your palm with it and then rub them down and stack them on top of each other and wrap up tight.

I second the coffee grounds.  I use that on my brisket.  I freeze my pork butts hole sometimes and later put then in a crock pot in the morning for dinner later that night.  I put a cup of left over coffee in with the butt.  Really compliments the meat.

Good luck with your new addiction.

Aaron.

Not a secret as i share everything .good or bad. BBQ sauce has mince meat in it and i use LCB on and / or in  most everything.

I grill salmon then top with a sauce of butter, tarragon, and skeeter pee.   
roflmao.gif

Living in Africa, I have access to spices and flavors that aren't available in the States.  Which is only fair because I can't get many of your flavorings.  I can't get corn syrup, maple, onion powder, celery, kosher, coarse, or rock salt, and any northern climate fruits or jams (no cherry, berries, peach, kiwi, grape, pommegranate, plum, pear, apricot, etc).  To make up for that, I have raw sugar (my only choice), cane syrup, local molasses, really good spices, and all forms of tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, guava, passionfruit, banana, avacado,).  If there was an odd or secret ingredient it would have to be a spice called Tea Masala.  It is designed as a mix to add to tea to make a spiced hot tea.  It rocks in sauce.

BBQMzungu

Different chiefs can take the same ingrediants and turn out two different products.  How much you use is just as important as what you use, and when you apply it during the cooking process can make a big difference as well. But the biggest ingrediant, is knowing how to control your heat and smoke!!!!

yeahthat.gif
   I believe it was Paul Prudhomme  who said "season well and often to create layers of flavor" This is a well known rule for those that make a championship chili.

Also like Martin has said, the freshest herbs and spices give the best flavor.

P.S. an ingredient I like to use although not "radical" is sold in Asian markets and is called sweet chili sauce. Especially good with chicken.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky