Another “FREE” Double Smoked Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Another “FREE” Double Smoked Ham

I’ve had Spiral Sliced Ham at Family Christmas parties, and at a Wedding Reception, and they were all so bad, I swore I’d never do one myself.

So I made one last August & it was Awesome!!
Here's that one:
Double Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham

Then I made another one awhile ago, but instead of using my Glaze, I used the packet that came with the Ham, and it really Sucked!! The Ham was good, but the Glaze Sucked!

So Mrs Bear got another one FREE with points from Weis Market. It weighed in at 9.98 Lbs.
This time I’ll not be taking any chances—I’ll be using my own Glaze!
So since it was so lean, it didn’t have any fat to trim off for my “Holey Pan Fat Drip Basting Trick”, so I told Mrs Bear to pick up Some Cheap Bacon Ends.

Prepping:
So I took an 8” X 8” foil pan, and punched a bunch of holes in the bottom, and stacked about 3/4 of a pound of Bacon in it. Then I put another pan under it, covered it with saran wrap, and put it in the fridge for the next day’s Smoke.
Then since all but the top of the Ham was already sliced, I only made my criss-cross cuts in the top portion for the drippings to enter the Ham.
Then I covered the Ham & into the Fridge it went.
I also made the following Glaze, to pour over the Bacon, so it can drip on the Ham near the end of the Smoke.

Glaze:

Brown Sugar————1/2 Cup
Maple Syrup———— 1/2 Cup
Ground Mustard———1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon——1/4 tsp
Ground Ginger————1/8 tsp
Ground Cloves————1/8 tsp
Ground Nutmeg————1/8 tsp
Heat in Microwave, and stir well just before applying.

Smoking (Day #2):
9:00 AM——-Preheat MES to 220°, and Fill 2+ Rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
10:00 AM——Put Pan with Ham on Rack #4, and AMNPS on right end of bottom rack, and pull Dumper out 3” & rotate 180°.
10:30 AM——Reset Heat to 230°. Smoker Temp cycling between 214° and 228°.
11:30 AM——Put Fat Dripping Basting Pan on Rack #2, with Bacon in it, and sterilize & insert probe in Ham.11:30 AM——64° IT (Light Medium Smoke)
Noon————-82° IT
12:30 PM——97° IT
1:00 PM——-108° IT
1:30 PM——-118° IT (Medium Smoke)
2:00 PM——-127° IT----Pour Glaze on top of Bacon in Drip Tray.
2:30 PM——-135° IT (Light Medium Smoke)
3:00 PM——-142° IT (No Smoke—Burned Out)
3:15 PM——-146° IT——Remove Ham to Kitchen. Kill Smoker.
3:30 PM——-Slice just enough for Supper.

Add Some of the leftover Bacon & a couple of Zucchini slices, and Eat Supper.
After Supper I cut the rest up, put the nicest slices in Vac Packs for freezing, and a pack of nice slices for Bear Jr.
I kept the small pieces from around the bone & from the top that wasn’t Spiral cut for our first couple meals & a couple Sammies & Breakfasts.

NOTE: This Ham was just as good as my regular Hams that I have Double Smoked, that weren’t Spiral Sliced. The only thing different was I had to buy a little Cheap Bacon Ends for my Drippings Pan, because it didn’t have it’s own Fat to use.

This Thread is long enough, so I'll have to show some Sammies in another Post.

Enjoy the Pics,

Bear

"FREE" Fancy Wrapped Spiral Sliced Ham:
IMG_3867.jpg

This is showing the regular price for this Free Ham, @ 9.98 LBs:
IMG_3868.jpg

On a rack, so it doesn't lay in it's juices, and smoke can get to the bottom of Ham:
IMG_3869.jpg

Two rows of Hickory Pellets, lit on one end:
IMG_3881.jpg

Getting AMNPS Smoking on a Beautiful Day (for a change):
IMG_3880.jpg

We're Off & Running:
IMG_3883.jpg

Nice Medium Smoke coming out the Vent:
IMG_3884.jpg

All Done!!
IMG_3885.jpg

Bear View:
IMG_3886.jpg

Bacon Ends are Spent:
IMG_3888.jpg

Sliced some quick for Supper:
IMG_3891.jpg

Gonna be a lot of Leftovers:
IMG_3892.jpg

Bear's First Helping, with Fried Zucchini & some Spent Bacon on the side:
IMG_3893.jpg

Looks really good bear!!! I was at the grocer yesterday looking for a ham, and they didn't have any. Since my cart was already full I didn't want to stop at another grocer. I need me a ham fix...I can taste the double smoked suppers, split pea soup, and ham salad already. Time to go to the other grocer.

Point for sure.
Chris

BTW we get money back on gas purchases when shopping at Price Chopper. It comes in handy with my pick-up.

Looks really good bear!!! I was at the grocer yesterday looking for a ham, and they didn't have any. Since my cart was already full I didn't want to stop at another grocer. I need me a ham fix...I can taste the double smoked suppers, split pea soup, and ham salad already. Time to go to the other grocer.

Point for sure.
Chris

BTW we get money back on gas purchases when shopping at Price Chopper. It comes in handy with my pick-up.

Oh Yeah, Lots of Awesome Leftovers!!
One of our stores you get $$ off for Gas, but this one has all kinds of Food discounts.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

looks great bear, love fried zucchini. one of these i'll get around to doing a ham bear style!

Looks great. I have done sprial hams on the smoker. Way better then done in the oven

Man that looks good, really good. I'm in the mood for ham and that pic just made my craving worse. I love the leftovers, Ham & Eggs, and Ham Samaches

Like for sure

Gary

It looks great! But, sell by 3/12/19?
Never had one before. Didn't even know you had to put a glaze on them!!??
Gotta go with Steve on this.......

Don

Thank You Guys!!
Like any other meat that you have bought---That date is from when we got the Ham. Then we "FROZE" it !! LOL
That date could be 2 or 3 years old, as long as it was Frozen since then.
And Thanks for the Likes.

Bear

Thank You Guys!!
Like any other meat that you have bought---That date is from when we got the Ham. Then we "FROZE" it !! LOL
That date could be 2 or 3 years old, as long as it was Frozen since then.
And Thanks for the Likes.

Bear

Ah, I thought that you just got this!

Ah, I thought that you just got this!

No, I'm sure I got it in Feb or Mar. They only have those FREE Hams around Ham Holidays, like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Most of my Meat Freezer is loaded with Meats that are a lot older than this Ham was, because I wouldn't trust their wrapping for 2 or 3 years, like I do my Vac Packs.

Bear

No, I'm sure I got it in Feb or Mar. They only have those FREE Hams around Ham Holidays, like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Most of my Meat Freezer is loaded with Meats that are a lot older than this Ham was, because I wouldn't trust their wrapping for 2 or 3 years, like I do my Vac Packs.

Bear

I wish we had stores around here that did that sort of thing.

I wish we had stores around here that did that sort of thing.

I'm confused as to why you guys would think this Ham was old, because of a date on the package.
If you look at any of my Prime Ribs in my Step by Step Index, if you can see the label, you'll see that the date is probably between 6 months & 2 years old, but nobody ever asked me about it. Why is this Ham any different?

Bear

I'm confused as to why you guys would think this Ham was old, because of a date on the package.
If you look at any of my Prime Ribs in my Step by Step Index, if you can see the label, you'll see that the date is probably between 6 months & 2 years old, but nobody ever asked me about it. Why is this Ham any different?

Bear

Because I, for one, thought that it was just purchased. The way your thread was worded. I thought you just got it is all.

Because I, for one, thought that it was just purchased. The way your thread was worded. I thought you just got it is all.

OK--Thanks!!:emoji_thumbsup:
Let me know what it was I said to make you think that, so I can leave that part out next time. I don't like to confuse anyone.

Bear

OK--Thanks!!:emoji_thumbsup:
Let me know what it was I said to make you think that, so I can leave that part out next time. I don't like to confuse anyone.

Bear

"So Mrs Bear got another one FREE with points from Weis Market. It weighed in at 9.98 Lbs." That made me think it was just gotten.

Eh, no worries. I confuse easy! Just ask my wife!

Reactions: drdon
"So Mrs Bear got another one FREE with points from Weis Market. It weighed in at 9.98 Lbs." That made me think it was just gotten.

Eh, no worries. I confuse easy! Just ask my wife!

Maybe if I'd have said She "Just got" this Ham.
Actually I put that picture of the tag to show when it was bought, so I can tell later. Like when somebody asks how long things keep in the freezer, I can look at some of my old ones, and say "Here's a Prime Rib I had in my freezer for over 2 years & it was fine." "Or here's a Ham I had in my freezer for 5 months".
Maybe I should stop doing that, but then I'd have to stop answering those questions, because I eliminated some of my information.

Bear

Maybe if I'd have said She "Just got" this Ham.
Actually I put that picture of the tag to show when it was bought, so I can tell later. Like when somebody asks how long things keep in the freezer, I can look at some of my old ones, and say "Here's a Prime Rib I had in my freezer for over 2 years & it was fine." "Or here's a Ham I had in my freezer for 5 months".
Maybe I should stop doing that, but then I'd have to stop answering those questions, because I eliminated some of my information.

Bear

No, you're fine. After rereading it. I can see that I was just confused.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky