Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fabrication is done on the FB. Need to grind it up, touch up a few welds and remove the mill scale for paint down the road. Need to make one adjustment and remove about 1/4” on the corner of the ash pan door cause it hits the cast iron door when trying to open the ash pan door. Major cleaning and regroup is needed in order to get things moved around. Then it’s test fit and attach the FB and CC. Really liking the look of this thing. From where I started just learning to weld at the start of this build my welds are getting better. Especially after I realized my wire speed was a touch too fast. Like I said I do have to touch up some of those but overall I am really happy with the build so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4064.jpeg
    IMG_4064.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 40
Well after a week of crappy cold weather in Pa. I am back at it. Did some clean up in the shed. Test fit of the FB is successful. I am happy with the fit of it. I got to CC level then slid FB in place and leveled it up. Checked CC to be sure I didn’t move it. Bummer is I got a little ahead of myself and forgot to clean up the base and back of FB before test fit. Unfortunately I need to pull it back and clean that stuff up because when it’s together I can’t get a grinder in there. I will have room to paint it which is good. lol As long as all is good they should be permanently together in a couple days.

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: civilsmoker
Man that thing looks massive all together! Like the look of the stove door on there also.

Jim
It’s probably more on the should have been a trailer setup but I just don’t have room for a trailer at my place. Thanks i am glad I decided to go with it after all.

Reactions: JLeonard
Fb and Cc are just about fully welded together. Also added 2 pieces of 2x4 and 2 pieces of 1/4” C channel to the back side of Fb to the Cc frame for support. Just need to open the Cc lid and weld the inside Fb to Cc connection. Still need lots of grinding and mill scale removal yet. I did some welding then did some grinding on the top to see how that was looking. Also decided since my welds are getting better I will go back and touch up some of the welds I did in the beginning at some point before paint.

Attachments

• IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4087.jpeg
    IMG_4087.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4089.jpeg
    IMG_4089.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 35
Been fun to follow your build. Always a nice feeling when you realize there are more parts on the project, than laying around the shop!

Reactions: irvin78787884
Fb and Cc are just about fully welded together. Also added 2 pieces of 2x4 and 2 pieces of 1/4” C channel to the back side of Fb to the Cc frame for support. Just need to open the Cc lid and weld the inside Fb to Cc connection. Still need lots of grinding and mill scale removal yet. I did some welding then did some grinding on the top to see how that was looking. Also decided since my welds are getting better I will go back and touch up some of the welds I did in the beginning at some point before paint.

The more pics you post, the more I begin to appreciate just how big that thing is! Man you'll be able to a LOT of meat in that pit! Looking great - Keep at it! It's always fun the day the 2 chambers are joined - that's when it really begins to look like a real smoker!

Red

Been fun to follow your build. Always a nice feeling when you realize there are more parts on the project, than laying around the shop!
The more pics you post, the more I begin to appreciate just how big that thing is! Man you'll be able to a LOT of meat in that pit! Looking great - Keep at it! It's always fun the day the 2 chambers are joined - that's when it really begins to look like a real smoker!

Red
Thanks guys. Certainly is coming together and yes pics really don’t do it justice. I will be able to cook whatever I want in it. Just hope I can feed the fire to cook the food. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I just went to a train museum. It has a striking resemblance to a steam locomotive, and is nearly as large!

You should have a naming contest!
Actually the one guy on my Facebook said it looked like a steam engine. I mean it needs a name so a contest could be cool and fun

Or you could make it look like an old tractor (like mine)...

I’ll submit Casey, as in Casey Jones!
Is your shed shrinking? That thing just gets bigger and bigger! And yep a naming contest needs to happen!

Jim
Or you could make it look like an old tractor (like mine)...

Where should I post the naming contest? U think we would get a bunch of members for the vote? The shed is tight for sure lol the more I do the more I struggle to work on it. I seriously can not put the stack on till it’s outside. Unless I make it disconnect and swing down. Which idk if I want to do or not. Yours is cool for sure but I can’t copy that. Can’t steal/copy ur idea gotta be different u know.

There's a build here that the stack folds down for more clearance . . . I'll see if I can find it... it actually is a good idea
This one, Keith?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky