Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you want to fine tune the edge..... put the torch on it to get it (the edge) a bit warmer then tap (slowly as you go) on the welded on flange with a block supporting the lid just inside of t hat to bring it together (ie good old metal shaping). But realize it will flex and expand when warm. My copper pot has a bit of a flex in it but the hold down clamps close the gap and it acts like a spring when it gets hot and starts expanding. I did the tap tap on my flange to get it fine tuned.
Thanks for the info. Certainly a good plan to get it dialed in. Funny thing. I am doing this metal work/ building this and I don’t own a torch. lol. I need to invest in one for sure. If I am able to I will get a torch and get into that towards the end of the build before paint. I will be using the hold down clamps like on yours for sure.

Reactions: civilsmoker
So after I did the lid bending. Didn’t have much time left so I worked on the handle to steer and pull it around. I will be using the tab that’s already on the tank to secure it upright. Need to drill hole in top for the pipe, add the holding tab, and close in the end. I will get that finished up and get into the FB building finally.

Attachments

• IMG_4011.jpeg
    IMG_4011.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4012.jpeg
    IMG_4012.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4013.jpeg
    IMG_4013.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: seenred
Thanks for the info. Certainly a good plan to get it dialed in. Funny thing. I am doing this metal work/ building this and I don’t own a torch. lol. I need to invest in one for sure. If I am able to I will get a torch and get into that towards the end of the build before paint. I will be using the hold down clamps like on yours for sure.
Ah a torch just makes it a bit easier but you can do it without. Everything is looking good for sure!

While I couldn’t sleep last night. I was thinking about the fb. I want to do an ash pan and the V basket. As talked about previously. I wanted to use an old wood stove door that I got. Pretty sure there is pics back earlier in this build. Without making 2 doors and possibly the v basket being either small or not removable I am not sure I can use the door. So idk 2 doors? 1 bigger door? To me more doors = possible air leaks, more work cutting, fitting and welding. 2 doors that don’t match that might not matter I think wood stoves have separate ash pan door or slide out anyways. Certainly can use the welding practice for sure that wouldn’t hurt. 1 big door= easier cleaning , ash pan and V basket easier removal because of more room. How big are the V baskets rough sizes? Decisions decisions. lol Anyone have any thoughts? I know it’s my build and up to me but some building and using these type of cookers experience from others is never a bad thing. Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
And so the FB building starts. Also I decided on not using the wood stove door. Just going to do one bigger door. The hat way it accommodates the fire grate and ash pan plus easier for cleaning it out because of the bigger door. Maybe I will use it on a smaller build. I now have 2 more I can do after this one. lol

Attachments

• IMG_4014.jpeg
    IMG_4014.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I didn’t get any more pics of tonight’s progress. I did get the air intake doors almost fully framed and tacked in. Didn’t get the side tacked on to the FB. Hopefully tomorrow that will get attached and I can start to look at and lay out the FB door. I am still undecided as to what I want to do for the door. As far as using that stove door I got or just build a big door. I will add some dimensions of it and stuff once I start laying it out. I want to use it for the look but I am afraid it would be small. Also I will probably have a hard time fully welding the inside of the FB which is another concern. I could easily build a separate door for the ash pan if I use the stove door. More decisions lol.

Last edited:
Well what do we think about the old wood stove door. It’s 12” tall at the honest point and 16.5” wide? I think it’s do able and I don’t see myself loading 12” round logs in it. Atleast I hope not. 🤣 The ash pan idea would work I would just need to make a second door under it. If u enlarge the last pic u can see the lines and markings of the layout idea. Here is today’s progress finished up taking the track around air intake doors and tacked the side on. Rest of the night was laying out the door setup. Oh I also had to pickup the FB and rotate it to work on the door side. Because of the location I want to put the smoker when I am done the door is on the side of FB instead of the end.

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4020.jpeg
    IMG_4020.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4023.png
    IMG_4023.png
    801.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 24
I guess the opening behind the door would be an inch smaller in all directions to have a lip for it to close against.

I think thats every clamping type tool I own. lol The heavy rain here in PA is a chilly one. Calling for inch of rain. Idk how long I will be out here today. I would like to get this side tacked on tho.

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Liking what your doing thus far. Watching you build this is almost as much as watching Red build mine.

Jim

Liking what your doing thus far. Watching you build this is almost as much as watching Red build mine.

Jim
Thanks much appreciated. I am following along on that closely also. He’s doing and excellent job. Great craftsman ship. Mine isn’t that kinda level but there’s a lot of firsts in this build for me and working out of a 14’X24’ shed is a challenge in itself also. lol

Thanks much appreciated. I am following along on that closely also. He’s doing and excellent job. Great craftsman ship. Mine isn’t that kinda level but there’s a lot of firsts in this build for me and working out of a 14’X24’ shed is a challenge in itself also. lol
Yeah didnt realize how tight it was until I saw the pic with the lift in it!

Jim

Reactions: irvin78787884
Got the door and ash pan side set up and welded in. Then I tacked it to the FB. Door willl be mounted in a few days. Need to drill out the old pins and make some hinges. The guy that gave me the door is a machinist and is gonna do that for me. Waiting on the bullet hinges for the ash pan door. Next will be mocking in the grates, ash pan, and putting the top on to the FB and get it all welded up inside and out

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4037.jpeg
    IMG_4037.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 21
Finally made some progress on the FB. It has all its sides attached and it’s about half way welded fully. Hinges for the door have been made. The angle for the fire grates and the V grate have also been welded into the FB. Some other parts have shown up. Need to finished welding, get door installed, get the hinges for the ash pan door on as well, and hit it with the grinder. Once that’s done it will be a pretty in depth cleaning and organizing to be able to move CC and FB into place to get them attached together. Picking up the angle for the cooking grates tomorrow morning before work.

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpeg
    IMG_4047.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 19
Getting closer to the end of the FB building. Hopefully tomorrow it will be ready to attach to the Cc.

Attachments

• IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 15
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky