Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Baffles are out. My air compressor is dying tho. It doesn’t hardly want to run. It’s pretty old and just a little single cylinder oil thing. Bummer more tool upgrades to buy. 😂 I do think I am gonna need to remove these angle pieces that the baffles mounted to the tank by. Probably cause restrictions in CC. What do you think? There is 12 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3977.jpeg
    IMG_3977.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3978.jpeg
    IMG_3978.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Baffles are out. My air compressor is dying tho. It doesn’t hardly want to run. It’s pretty old and just a little single cylinder oil thing. Bummer more tool upgrades to buy. 😂 I do think I am gonna need to remove these angle pieces that the baffles mounted to the tank by. Probably cause restrictions in CC. What do you think? There is 12 of them.
....a 1$4.99 harbor freight 4-inch angle grinder and a $2-80 grit flap wheel.....smooth the sharp edge and don't worry about them at all.....

New question. Since I have some warping on the tank, door and the tank flexes a little bit at the hinges when working the door. I was thinking of putting ratchet straps back on the tank and door getting it all snugged back up. Then I would put angle iron on the tank and doors. Similar too the picture. I whipped it up in my vehicle when I got to parking lot at work this morning. lol The question is 1” 1.5” or 2” it would probably be 1/8” thick angle iron? I will be added a few extra braces inside when I get the track installed for the grates also when I get to that point. So what size? Good idea or waste of time? Thanks
an angle across the top of both to support the hinges wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't do all the ones on the door. The as it can flex a little, I would put some "hold down" clamps on the bottom side of the door.....Look at my build again. These work really well.

Reactions: irvin78787884
an angle across the top of both to support the hinges wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't do all the ones on the door. The as it can flex a little, I would put some "hold down" clamps on the bottom side of the door.....Look at my build again. These work really well.
Awesome I will do it that way. I was also planning on getting the hold downs for it also. Depending on how the fit is. I was thinking gaskets if needed but that’s later. I have 2 of their grinders. One with cutoff wheel and other with grinding wheel and an old one that has wire wheel on it. Switch out whatever for flap discs when I need them. I will have that tank yes plus this one. I was gonna setup as extra air. I am starting to think smoker build 2 and now 3 and yes probably sell them. lol

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpeg
    IMG_3982.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Holy cow - that thing IS big! You'll be cookin' whole cows in that thing! :emoji_wink:

Red
The possibility are almost endless 🤣🤣🤣🤣. It’s definitely a far bigger project than I anticipated. Thing is like in pics the tank looks smaller. So I drove 3hrs to get it. Once I got there I was like damn its big!!! lol At that point the screw it go big or go home thought hit me. So here I am my first build learning to weld ect….. and it’s a beast kinda why I was thinking of Miss Piggy for a name. Still haven’t decided on that yet.

Reactions: seenred
If this don’t get the door a little closer to shape then I give up lol. Hopefully I didn’t got to far. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4008.jpeg
    IMG_4008.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 16
If this don’t get the door a little closer to shape then I give up lol. Hopefully I didn’t got to far. 🤞

Hope it works - and ya can't give up now...you've come this far!

I've seen a few different methods used to accomplish the same thing - exerting some force on the warped door to try and bend it back in shape. Looks like what you're trying is the right idea...

Good luck!
Red

Hope it works - and ya can't give up now...you've come this far!

I've seen a few different methods used to accomplish the same thing - exerting some force on the warped door to try and bend it back in shape. Looks like what you're trying is the right idea...

Good luck!
Red
Got it way better and damn close. Much happier with it now.

Persistence paid off on this one. 7 ratchet straps later. Much happier. Not perfect but compared to what it was it’s way better. Before I could easily put my fingers in the gap. What that sounds wrong. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 u know what I mean geez.

Attachments

• IMG_4009.jpeg
    IMG_4009.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4010.jpeg
    IMG_4010.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 15
  • Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
If you want to fine tune the edge..... put the torch on it to get it (the edge) a bit warmer then tap (slowly as you go) on the welded on flange with a block supporting the lid just inside of t hat to bring it together (ie good old metal shaping). But realize it will flex and expand when warm. My copper pot has a bit of a flex in it but the hold down clamps close the gap and it acts like a spring when it gets hot and starts expanding. I did the tap tap on my flange to get it fine tuned.

Reactions: irvin78787884
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky