A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
YES SIR... looking good so far

Can I make a suggestion ? Before cuting the 1/4" plate to make a frame (I'm thinking board managment here, waste)... Consider using the 1" angle for the frame of the V basket ... This gives ya something to weld the expanded metal to...

Thanks Keith!

Yeah, I’ve kicked around several designs for the V-basket. The thing is, I’ve got a bunch of smaller drops of 1/4” plate left. I’ll still be making a side-rail frame out of angle, but the faces and base will be 1/4” plate.

Keep those ideas coming brother! I always appreciate input from another fabricator.

Red

An amazing follow!!!! seenred, you are indeed a man of many talents. JLeanard you are the envy of us all. Here's my contribution to the name game. Red Rocket, The Red Shed, Dean Martin, Grateful Red
I get them all but Dean Martin......What am I missing?

Jim

Love the CAD! And its coming together well. Love the attention to detail your putting into it. Man my great grandkids will be cooking on this thing!

Jim

That’s the goal Jim! I hope this rig lasts a lifetime!

I'm with Jim... I can handle that CAD! Love following along on your builds!

Ryan

Thanks guys!

Yep - I admit I’m sorta a tech dummy…but I can cut cardboard with the best of ‘em! :emoji_wink:

Red

Alright... Cool...

I look at 1/4" plate (weather it's drops or what) as gold... LOL

I hear ya brother - and I agree…but this 1/4” plate is technically owned by Jim - he’s paying the materials bills. So I’m trying to make use of all his material I can in his build…

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Did you see Red's 1st build? Kinda funny cuz JLeonard JLeonard was so happy someone else bought it and saved him the money! And now guess who's getting a new smoker :emoji_blush:

And I just happen to be... someone else!

Ryan
Yep saved me from "self enabling"...Then Red and I got to talking....And here I am....Watching this thing come together.

Jim

Did you see Red's 1st build? Kinda funny cuz JLeonard JLeonard was so happy someone else bought it and saved him the money! And now guess who's getting a new smoker :emoji_blush:

And I just happen to be... someone else!

Ryan

Yep saved me from "self enabling"...Then Red and I got to talking....And here I am....Watching this thing come together.

Jim

So we agree... seenred seenred is the guilty one?

Ryan

🤣🤣

I plead the 5th!

Red

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Good Tuesday Evening, Friends!

I'm still making progress - slowly but surely! In the last update, I had begun fabricating a fire-management V-basket.

I got the base frame laid out and tacked together.

img46.jpg

Finished framing it with some 3/16" x 1 x 1 angle iron and some 1 1/2 flat bar stock.

img47.jpg

Next I got it welded out and expanded metal spot-welded in to finish out the basket.

img49.jpg

This is the first time I've built one of these - heck its the first time I've even seen one of 'em in person. I'm real happy with how it turned out.

Fits on the main FB log rack real well.

img50.jpg

img51.jpg

Next, I turned back to finishing the FB door assembly.

I got the cool-touch handle welded on, got the hinges lined up and welded on, and I got the door latch attached.

img52.jpg

img54.jpg

img55.jpg

img53.jpg

I'm 95% finished with the FB. I'll still weld some anti-warping bracing on the inside of the door, but that's about got the FB wrapped up.

Last thing I accomplished was plasma-cutting out the big CC door.

img56.jpg

img57.jpg

I managed to get this big heavy sucker back up on my welding table...so I can get the inside corner joints all welded out.

img59.jpg

Then I should be ready to build some racks and runners for the CC, as well as a rack for the water/ash pan.

Getting close to being ready to weld these two chambers together...

That's all for now...while the progress is slow, I'm happy with how it's going together so far.

As always, thanks for following along!

Red

Last edited:
Oh man! I am really starting to see the dimensions of this thing! I'm gonna have to hire a semi and flatbed to get it home! Joel with every post update you just raise my amazement at your skills to a new level.

Jim

Reactions: seenred
Oh man! I am really starting to see the dimensions of this thing! I'm gonna have to hire a semi and flatbed to get it home! Joel with every post update you just raise my amazement at your skills to a new level.

Jim

Thank you Jim...but really - all the praise is appreciated but embarrassing. I'm gettin' such a big head I can barely stand myself LOL. :emoji_laughing:

Yep - she's gonna be a big one for sure! I don't have a scale big enough to accurately weigh it, but my nearest estimate is it'll weigh between 700 and 800 lbs. when it's complete.

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky